Master & Commander

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mo2vation once bubbled...

We may need to agree to disagree on that one, Indy. I think Babbettes Feast was quite a bit closer, with me and about 4 other people actually seeing that flick. Not a subject handled well by Hollywood. But I digress.

We can surely agree that RC has had some great roles, some stinkers and its my hope M&C is more of the former and less of the latter.

K

My favorite parts, from the script of Gladiator:

Commodus? He cannot rule, he must not rule, Commodus is not a moral man. You have known that since your youth. You are the son that I should have had. I want you to become the protector of Rome after I die. I shall grant you sole power to return power to the Senate and end the corruption.

If you find yourself riding in green fields with the sun in your face, do not be troubled, for you are in Illysium, and you're already dead!

Brothers, what we do in life, echoes in eternity.

Is Rome worth the life of one good man?

Gladiator was about a kick ass dude who's buddy knew he was a kick ass dude. But his buddies kid, the moron, realized that he wasn't gonna get the job, so he screwed the kick ass dude into having to kick ass for a living.

That's it. Friggin political metaphors... jees. It's a movie, it ain't art!

OK, this thread is a troll; he's never seen the movie and never will.

But Peter Weir pulled off doing Patrick O'Brian's book more faithfully than I could have imagined after reading all 20 of the books. This is his most authentic flick since The Year of Living Dangerously. He even saved it from the strange casting decisions.

The movie is about the subject being faithfully presented with no quarter given to the usual mind-numbing Hollywood formula. Nothing at all like Gladiator.

A roaring good sea flick that pulls us deeper into the 19th century than we're likely to go anytime soon. If nothing, it's a good sampler of what shipwrecks once looked like.

Wingtip once bubbled...

Uhhm, Slap Shot

Yeah, yeah... I meant any OTHER movies about hockey. This one doesn't count.

My bad. Should have been clearer. :bonk:

K

Mo2vation once bubbled...

Yeah, yeah... I meant any OTHER movies about hockey. This one doesn't count.

My bad. Should have been clearer. :bonk:

K
how does that crow taste? :p

.... really enjoyed Master and Commander. I saw it Sunday, and I would go back and see it today if someone asked me. I thought that it did a great job of not straying too far from the original plot line, and there really wasn't anything that was to "technological" for the time. If you haven't seen it, see it, its worth the money.:)

Kayla:D

I also enjoyed Master and Commander. I'd see it again. I have started reading the books. Who taught them British dudes to speak English? :D I am learning a lot about life at sea. Good movie and great books.

Joe

ive seen it about three times now (with various different people, i didnt mind seeing it again, and it doesnt cost me anything) was most impressed by it, im not much of a movie critic, i have a movie card and see as many films a month as i want for £12, so i dont go in looking for faults, i just enjoy all the films i see :)
i really liked Master and Commander, not least due to my interest in british history around that era :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom