Mass posting in Intro Forum

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willuw

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
I have noticed lately several people "mass post" a generic "welcome" message to 2-4 entire pages of threads in the "Introductions" forum.

In doing this, threads from 1+ weeks ago are now at the top of the forum and brand new threads get pushed to pages 2-5+ and rarely get seen again. There are a lot of people here who actual read the posts and respond and acknowledge the new members which is excellent. However it seems there are a growing number who go thru pages and at a time writing a generic response and pushing new threads down to the bottom and old to the top.

Maybe set a higher interval between posts in this forum or even make posts not count towards postcount.

that's why the intro forum is on my 'Exclude Forums from "Get New Posts"' list...

that's why the intro forum is on my 'Exclude Forums from "Get New Posts"' list...

I agree, another point against the mass-posting. But it shouldn't be - because new members need welcomed :shakehead:

I think a lot of people do it to quickly boost their post count - where else can you reply to the same pages 100x with the same message without even reading the post. I have seen a lot of generic postings telling a user to do something (fill out profile, post where your from, etc) that they already did in the post - if the person would just take the time to read the post instead of spamming the same message on ever post.

I welcome new members selectively... generally just beautiful women divers who have dive boats and large trust funds. However, I don't really object to such generic postings since it is so easy to ignore those threads when looking at new posts. I go through ALL the pages of threads with new posts even if it reaches the maximum of 20 pages.

I agree, Nitro. I also agree about the problem of "form letter posting." Because of this, I have no inclination to even participate in that thread and welcome newcomers. What can be done about it, I don't have a clue, though.

Welcome to :sblogo:

I welcome new members selectively... generally just beautiful women divers who have dive boats and large trust funds. However, I don't really object to such generic postings since it is so easy to ignore those threads when looking at new posts. I go through ALL the pages of threads with new posts even if it reaches the maximum of 20 pages.

you left out Asian :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom