Mass posting in Intro Forum

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I welcome new members selectively... generally just beautiful women divers who have dive boats and large trust funds.

DrBill,

I always enjoy reading your posts and your sense of humor. We will have to go diving sometime. I live in Lousiana, but I get out to California alot. I will let you know next time I am out that way, and if you have time, I would love to pick up some underwater photography pointers.

Talk soon,

*gasp* a real post..
no, it doesn't belong in whine and cheeze as this is feedback for the site. Sure you can ignore people posting 2,3,4,5+ pages at a time - but why? then new users don't get welcomed and other threads are not seen because old threads get bumped up by someone just trying to increase their post count

Maybe this belongs in the whine and cheese, and I would like to know who died and made you king? The nice thing about SB, is it's wide range of personalities and interests. Mass greatings don't bother me in the least. I know how to use the board in ways, that I don't even have to see posts I don't want to. Maybe someday you will learn too, and you won't have issues such as the one you have now.
Happy New Year!!!!!

I think a lot of people do it to quickly boost their post count - ............

nooooooooo - some of us do it because we are nice and its nice to be nice and welcome new members to SB who are excited about scuba and finding our little community

the regular welcomers couldnt give two hoots about their post counts.... they are just being friendly

:shakehead:

We aren't talking about the regulars here who actually read posts and truely welcome members - we are talking about the people who come in once every so often and post the same generic message to 2-5+ pages of intro threads - regardless of when they were posted..

nooooooooo - some of us do it because we are nice and its nice to be nice and welcome new members to SB who are excited about scuba and finding our little community

the regular welcomers couldnt give two hoots about their post counts.... they are just being friendly

:shakehead:

that's why the intro forum is on my 'Exclude Forums from "Get New Posts"' list...
If you are using the Classic skin you won't see that option --- change back to Default skin in order to change that option. It's at the very bottom of the Edit Options page.

I was confused at first because I don't see all these posts that everyone else is complaining about, but I also couldn't find the option selection. When in doubt, I change back to default skin since it has more options and preference settings than does the Classic skin.

Some of us post because we hit NEW POSTS and see the occaisional Intro and Greet and will go drop the "Hey yo, wazzzup fellow dive homeosapien?! Wizelcome to :sblogo:, look out for NitroWill, he's a real gas bubbler.. oh and don't forget to shizzle the snizzle and pay the trizoll on the way by! And now for something completely different. :)"

Assumptions... it has longed been assumed by a few that those who post the "cut and paste" style of messages in the intro section are doing so to increase their post count. Until such time as you ASK these people their motives, I don't believe that your assumption holds water. Most of those people are genuinely trying to be friendly. How do -I- know? I have asked a number of them, and post count is never cited as a top reason to post these boiler plate greetings. No, they may not do it in the manner you would like them to do it, but that's OK. There are at least 87,000 different personalities here on ScubaBoard and none of us dive or post in precisely the same way. Since their posting does not violate the SPIRIT of the ToS, we see no need to stop them from being nice.

Now, WHAT can be done to change their behavior? Again, being nice does not seem to violate any portion of our ToS, but you can start by being a positive example. If you want our new users to receive a well thought out reply to their post, then AWESOME: please set the pace by doing so. I am sure you will influence others to copy your style and in due time we will have many more people welcoming the masses of new posters with engaging dialog.

As a caveat, I must confess that I am the biggest "spammer" on the board! That's right! Every new user get's a form letter from me welcoming them to our forums and giving them some useful information. I could never forget that I send this out as I get a number of positive responses to my warm welcome each and every week.
NetDoc:
Hi XXXXX and welcome to ScubaBoard!

Thanks for registering at ScubaBoard - you are now a member of the world's largest online diving community! To get started we recommend you introduce yourself in our Introductions and Greets forum where you can meet other new members and have any of your questions answered.

You may also want to check out a few of these popular features:
our Scuba Gallery features over 60,000 underwater photos submitted by other users. Using your ScubaBoard account you can post, share and store 250MB of your own photos for FREE!

ScubaBoard is all about diving and getting divers in the water and with dozens of geographical and topic based clubs finding a dive buddy, dive spot or dive group could not be easier. To find your local club visit our club listing forum (Regional Travel & Dive Clubs).

As a final note, you may want to take a few minutes to fill out your profile so other members can get to know the real cduker a little better!

If you have any questions about our site or your account please contact us by responding to this message or posting in the Site Support forum.

We hope to see you around.

Thanks again,

The ScubaBoard Team.
BTW, the power of being nice and setting the best example rules on this and any online forum. IF you want to read more Scuba Related threads... START THEM! If you want to read more thoughtful posts on a subject... BY ALL MEANS LEAD THE WAY. You will know that I will be applauding each and every effort and quite often joining in to play as well. :D Happy New Year, Y'all!

We aren't talking about the regulars here who actually read posts and truely welcome members - we are talking about the people who come in once every so often and post the same generic message to 2-5+ pages of intro threads - regardless of when they were posted..
Who? Can you provide a link? Have you talked to this person (or persons) and tried to help?

Who? Can you provide a link? Have you talked to this person (or persons) and tried to help?
Great point Rick... a PM is always appropriate if you think they need to change something. Just realize that not everyone has to do things YOUR (or my) way. Its what makes us interesting.

It has nothing to do with boosting their post counts - I coudl care less if that is what they want to do. It has to do with pushing all the new posts to page 4 and week old posts are now at the top. Guests who already received a welcome a week ago get pushed to the top and new people who do monitor their posts are now buried deep and noone else will likely respond. There is NO need to go in and post the same message in pages and pages of threads - there just isn't - it messes up all the active posts and completely floods the new posts page.

I have pm'd a couple of them only to get a nasty message back. I actively read and welcome new members and so do many others - it is just a select view that decide to come in once every so often and mass post several pages of new threads. It isn't about having it MY way - there just is no positives to posting pages at a time while there are plenty of negatives to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom