Masks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

THarrison01

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
I am a new diver looking for a good mask. I am willing to pay big bucks for a good mask. Any suggestions?

When it comes to mask it is all about the fit to your face , you really have to try on first. I suggest going to a local dive shop and try on different mask and see which one you like, then go from there..

Fit is the main thing to look for in a mask and it's hard for anyone to guess what will fit you and not leak. Go to dive shops and try on as many masks as you can until you find one you like. A very gentle inhale or even just sticking it on your face, should stick it to your face - do it with a snorkel in your mouth as that can change the shape of your face enough affect the fit. Low volume/profile with tempered glass is what you want, and mostly what you will find in dive shops. Sometimes new divers are attracted to big fishbowls of masks thinking they will be able to see better, but the opposite is true plus they will be harder to clear. Sometimes new divers are also attracted to masks with purge valves thinking it sounds like a good idea - while those may be the right thing for the occasional person (like maybe with a mustache that they just can't seem to deal with otherwise,) most people don't need them and they can just create more problems than they solve.

How much you spend has little affect on fit, sometimes it will be a less expensive mask that works for you. More money may occasionally get you softer silicone or some nice little strap feature or whatever, but mostly it pays for marketing and profits. This can be true to some extent with all dive gear, but maybe more so with masks since they're basically pretty simple things. Even inexpensive big-box store snorkel sets will sometimes have a perfectly good mask that fits someone great, along with a snorkel that is more than adequate especially for the many folks that leave their snorkels in their gear bags after certification. (OTOH, usually the fins that come with those sets are poorly suited for diving.)

Many people have strong preferences for black or clear skirts, and it's just that, a preference. I prefer clear and don't find any of the reasons people give for choosing black apply to me. YMMV.

If you have need for corrective lenses of some sort there are a couple other things to consider, but you don't mention that.

Last edited:
Ill take $10,000 for mine. It fits (me) great!!!!! Ill take cash or South Carolina BBQ Ribs.... Seriously though, a mask is about as personal fit of an item as they come. I have a very hard face to fit and have tried on over 50, bought at least a dozen, and finally have 2 that I like. Just because it fits in the store does not mean it will not leak on a dive. The price your pay has nothing to do with the fit either...although there is a company that for around $300 will custom mold one to your face.

Single lens, double lens, mine has 3 lenses, frameless, skirt mounted straps, frame mounted straps, tinted lenses, black skirt, clear skit, purge valve, Asian fit, and the list goes on forever as to what options you can buy. A friend uses a cheap department store mask that came with a $20 snorkel set and loves it. I lost mine off the boat in Cozumel and bought a $125 Scubapro as a last minute replacement and it was serviceable, but leaked.

Leisure Pro has a great return policy if it doesn't fit. They also have a huge selection just to see what is out there. If you are going local, make sure you try the fit with a regulator mouth piece in your mouth as it will distort the fit around your upper lip. Make sure you at least try it on a dive before going out on a paid for or vacation dive. some masks are picky about the angle of the strap around your head as well. It would suck to have made it to a shark dive boat with a new mask....and have it leak like the Titanic and you end up blowing through all your air constantly clearing your mask.

My goto mask is a copy of the 1970's and 80's "rescue" mask that I think I paid around $30 for from Leisurepro. I look like a hammer head shark, but it does not hit the bridge of my nose or forehead and only leaks when I need it to. The most common comment I get is, "I had one of those....in 1984" It does not matter what you spend, it matters what works and is comfortable.

Hopefully you have a face shape and size that the mask designers consider standard. That will make life much easier. If not, its try and try again. You can throw all the money you want at a mask....but that doesn't mean it will be the right on for you.

Good luck,

Jay

I like the Aqualung masks for one reason. They have a knuckle on the mask strap attachment which allows you to position the strap where it's most comfortable on your head, and this helps with the seal

Never had an aqualung mask leak on me

I have a number of masks that I bought, thinking I would like them, and didn't after a couple dives.... My favorite mask ended up to be a very modest priced HOG. My wife's mask was even less and is some "generic" brand from decades ago....

I have tried on some of the "big name/dollar" ones, but there is always something (besides the price) that isn't right about them for me.

As others have said, masks fit people differently. I use an Atomic Venom that I love but I've used much cheaper ones that worked just as well.

As @Damselfish said, get the one that fits you the best. It doesn't matter if it's high end and doesn't fit you--it won't do you any good during a dive and you will have to call it because you're constantly flooding or you can't equalize.

My perfect fit was at $80. :)

I seem fine with a wide variety of masks from all different shapes and sizes and companies from SCUBA types to free diving types. My current ranking is Atomic Frameless, Scubapro Frameless, Mares X Vision, clone of the SPF from VDH and an Omer Alien I think it is.

You guys go on about fit, I look at buckles, I am very particular that they are secure, preferably mounted to the skirt and resistant to slipping and hold their adjustment (lock) well.

I like clear as much as black though most are black, I have a clear Atomic and a clear Mares as well as black in both.

N

Back
Top Bottom