Masks have shrunk

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

agilis

Cat Lives Matter
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I have a large head, with a fairly broad face. My hat size is an 8, and adjustable hats that indicate "fits most" generally do not fit me.

I recently decided to try the two new Atomic wundermasks, and was disappointed to find that each style was much too small. Browsing through the very comprehensive mask department of a large NYC retailer confirmed that only a few masks were even close to my size, and of these only the Tusa Visualator fit well. The vast majority of the other masks were far too small. One, an Apollo Frameless, advertised as a 'large' mask, literally could not seat against my face because the nose section was so narrow.

This has to be a situation that evolved over the years. I still have several vintage Dacor and Scubapro masks (I tend to keep old stuff) that fit me perfectly. I also have an old original first model Tusa Splendive that fits extremely well. These decades old masks have seen better days, and are no longer really useable. The Visualator I've been using for 3 years is an excellent mask, so I bough another, this time in black silicon. That was the extent of my selection choices.

I recall that a couple of decades ago, most masks fit me ok so I know it is not just my imagination that I feel as though I have strayed into the women's and children's section when I look at new masks. I suspect there are financial and mass marketing reasons for this development, and I realize that I am in a size category minority, but I am still dismayed by the way mask sizes have shrunk, and by the lack of extra large size variations in most models.

I am still dismayed by the way mask sizes have shrunk, and by the lack of extra large size variations in most models.
Maybe your head got bigger.:wink:

I considered that possibility, Vlad, and addressed it when I described how several of my old masks continue to fit as they did when I got them, back in the 70s and 80s.. Maybe you concluded that the old masks also got bigger. Thanks for what may have been a arduous intellectual effort.

I considered that possibility, Vlad, and addressed it when I described how several of my old masks continue to fit as they did when I got them, back in the 70s and 80s.. Maybe you concluded that the old masks also got bigger. Thanks for what may have been a arduous intellectual effort.
Yeah, clearly I don't have the intellect to analyze the shrinking mask problem afflicting fathead divers worldwide. I hope that you, with the help of other board members, can find the insight you seek. If you discover a sense of humor in the process, that'd be a huge added bonus.

Vlad, I am perplexed by your cranky attitude. If you interpreted anything I wrote as a negative evaluation of your intelligence, sparkling wit, or advanced reading and analytical skills please be assured that this was not my intent. We fatheads frequently have difficulty writing clearly, and this may be another example of this troublesome deficiency.

I realize that your initial comment about the possibility of my head getting larger reflected total sincerity on your part, and your very best attempt to interpret the issues I raised.

I'm going to get right to work on that sense of humor thing you mentioned.

I still swim with the type of classic oval masks I used back in the 1960s. They are still around, just harder to locate:

Oceanways Classic Pacific Mask

b_owpcfc1mk.jpg

Oceanways Classic Pacific Mask - Online SCUBA Gear

Sport Divers Black Rubber Oval Mask

th_MK6.jpg

Sport Divers, MFG. - Welcome!

There are plenty of others, some still manufactured by French underwater equipment manufacturers Beuchat and Sommap.

Hope this helps.

The black oval is a very familiar mask, one I know I used at some point in the distant past. I think the original Pacifica was marketed by US Divers. Discontinuing the purge valve has got to be a definite improvement. I assume the rubber/silicon skirts have been improved as compared to the originals.

Thanks for the information. I had no idea. I think I'll try one. I'm amazed that these retro masks are never even mentioned in those magazine equipment reviews. Seriously, though, it still seems odd that the newer styles are all relatively small. I remember the frustration I experienced when I tried to get an explanation from Tusa after they downsized the original Splendive, which I remember as the best fitting mask I ever used.

Thanks again.

I'm sot sure if mask skirts are getting smaller based on the number of people I fit who's masks are all too big and leak constantly. However, with the advent of low volume masks you are seeing the mask is getting closer and closer to the face (and nose), which means those with a nose bridge that is not at a specific angle or line have problems with fit Pug and celestial noses have no problem, but if you have aquiline or more prominent nose lines you will struggle to find a mask that fits comfortably. Same thing with prominent brows.

I agree with you, agilis, about the blinkered attitude of reviewers towards classic oval masks. Maybe it's just ignorance. On another thread I learned how the proprietor of at least one dive store had never heard of rubber-skirted masks even though they were the first dive masks and they continue to be manufactured around the world. It's the same with full-foot fins - vendors claim to have only heard of the plastic bladed variety.

Returning to masks, I've often been surprised that they're not "sized" in the same way as fins are. The only attempt at sizing masks is a halfhearted one - the division between child and adult versions. The current fashion for "low volume" masks may be at the root of "mask shrinkage", but so might be the growing number of smaller-faced female and Asian divers. I wonder whether some kind of sizing system can be devised for masks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom