Masks for people with big noses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Razmataz78

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
There is another active thread about masks for people with small asian noses. My nose has been called a lot of things - but never small or asian.

So are there any masks or brands particularly suited for people with big european noses :confused:

more flat than small

i think most high volume masks can support your huge schnozz

Ok, flat not small. I stand corrected

However, I still interested to hear if anybody could point me in a direction a bit more specific than just high volume. Has anybody with a huge schnozz found a specific brand or model of mask they like?

Razmataz78,

For Jimmy Durante noses, masks with nose-pockets don't have enough room, particularly for the bridge of the nose. Even if your nose fits, you may not be able to exhale to equalize internal pressure with ambient pressure as you descend.

Jacques himself used was a large single-lens mask:
Cousteau_Big_Nose.jpg

This older style is still distributed:
Fish_in_mask.jpg

...but when your regulator is in your mouth, you can't reach a single hand up into the pinch-pockets to equalize. Either you have to use index fingers from each hand, or be lucky and have "open" eustachian tubes that don't require a valsalva pinch-and-blow. Good luck.

I have a fairly large nose and have had good luck with a Seac Sub X-Free mask. I got mine from Santa Barbara Aquatics in Goleta , CA a few years ago. The mask has a weird strap adjusting design, but otherwise I have been happy with it. I have not seen Seac Sub masks anywhere else so good luck finding one.

I have a rather healthy schnoz myself and am IN LOVE with my Mares X-vision mask. The skirt is very soft, as is the nose pocket for easy valsalva. The view is excellent and the price was pretty good as I recall. Try one on!

I have a Polish nose and its a pretty snug fit in my mask in the pool...

I have open water this weekend and I am going to see if I notice a difference with higher pressure at depth

Back
Top Bottom