Mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Skittl1321

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
The dive shop I want to do my OW certification with supplies all equipment except mask, fins, and snorkel. Those you need to bring your own (or buy theirs.)

This is a really stupid question. Is the mask/snorkel you use for SCUBA diving the same mask/snorkel you use for snorkeling? We already have those. But it seems like you would need something more specialized, so I do I need to buy something else?

I know I can ask the dive shop this- but it is quite a drive, so I'm not going up there to buy fins until I am able to get my Drs. approval, just in case they end up not giving it... I hear fins are going to be fairly expensive, so I'm not going to put money into this until I'm cleared!

Same mask & snorkel--assuming the mask seals tightly (put it on your face and inhale through nose, it should not leak air and should get sucked to your face) and your set was not bought for $10 at Wal-Mart. Also, a mask that is very old may not be the best. Fins can generally cost $80-$150 or so depending on what you get.

Well that's nice :)
it was a $30 set on amazon. No leaking problems when snorkeling before.

where in Iowa? Are you using Seatasea?

Their could be issues in suitability in which case heed the advice of the instructor/sales person. As an aside, most ow courses are little to no money makers for shops, they have competitive prices in hopes to recoup from sales of "personal gear". And of course, hoping you will continue on in this wonderful world of scuba. Enjoy.

... I hear fins are going to be fairly expensive, so I'm not going to put money into this until I'm cleared!

They don't have to be. You can get some excellent fins for about $60 or less. One really good pair can be had for $35.

where in Iowa? Are you using Seatasea?
Yes, I am just a little south of them, bout 30 minutes, which makes tge class convienent but window shopping trips a pain. They sold us our kayak :) and gear related to that!

To be fair I've seen people use $10 masks with no issues, however I'd invest in a decent mask once you qualify up to the $80 kinda mark purely for comfort and quality (My mask was one of the more expensive masks from scubapro and is still going strong 8 years later, that's a decent investment).

As long as it's tempered glass...

Since you're remote you might consider buying online.

Sites like Scubatoys.com have everything you need, ship fast and have very liberal exchange policies if something doesn't fit. I buy a lot of my softgoods (boots, fins, snorkel, etc.) from them.

Other options are LeisurePro.com, Scuba.com, Dive Right In Scuba (Chicago area), Divers Direct, there's too many to list.

Leisure Pro has great return policy, I tried on 6 different masks at my lds before I picked the one I wanted and got it from them. I would order a few different styles and sizes if you can to get a good fit or make the drive to a dive shop. I like buying from my lds but also buy from online shops. They both have their place.

Sent from my Galaxy S III

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom