Mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To be fair I've seen people use $10 masks with no issues, however I'd invest in a decent mask once you qualify up to the $80 kinda mark purely for comfort and quality (My mask was one of the more expensive masks from scubapro and is still going strong 8 years later, that's a decent investment).

have to disagree slightly on that one, expensive does not necessarily equate to good, fit is everything, the mask that fits is the one you want whether that be a $30 mask or a $100 mask.

have to disagree slightly on that one, expensive does not necessarily equate to good, fit is everything, the mask that fits is the one you want whether that be a $30 mask or a $100 mask.

+1! I bought a USD clear silicone 3 pane mask from WAL_MART about 15+ years ago for $12.00. I wanted to do some snorkling while in FL and didn't have my gear so I bought some cheapo gear. That is the most comfortable mask I've used and it never leaks! I'm still using to this day.

---------- Post added May 8th, 2013 at 06:23 AM ----------

They don't have to be. You can get some excellent fins for about $60 or less. One really good pair can be had for $35.

E-BAY Mares Plana Avanti less than $50.00 a pair used great fins.

Thanks for the advice! Hopefully my mask can get me at least through pool classes, then I'll reevaluate!

once I get medical clearance I'm going to see what the dive shop has. Being landlocked I know we are lucky to have one so if they have decent fins I'd probably get them there.

Yes, I am just a little south of them, bout 30 minutes, which makes tge class convienent but window shopping trips a pain. They sold us our kayak :) and gear related to that!

Ken and Danette are great! When I lived in Cedar Rapids that's where I went for my scuba stuff. Their instructors are pretty good, too! Good luck!

For some of us, getting a good-fitting mask can be an ordeal. I LOVE the Sea Quest Visage mask. $30 at Leisure Pro.

If you get into the hobby and dive fairly often, you may want a pair of spring straps for your fins. Advantages are easy on & off, and less likely to break. Add some expense, but a very popular choice.

Richard.

Ken and Danette are great! When I lived in Cedar Rapids that's where I went for my scuba stuff. Their instructors are pretty good, too! Good luck!

Great to know! We are hoping to get the class done in June, but since my doctor is insisting on doing a physical to sign the medical form (I do not understand why, she's been treating me for 6 years and a physical isn't required) we are worried the class will be filled up and we'll have to wait until July :( That will really stink- I want to do this now with the whole summer ahead of us.

Your snorkeling mask may be fine as long as it's tempered glass and doesn't leak. Though you may discover even if it didn't leak or bother you when snorkeling, diving it could be a little different. So just wait and see.

Whatever snorkel you have is fine for now. Lots of people don't carry a snorkel after they're certified, or at the very least don't keep it on their mask as this actually has a lot of drawbacks when diving.

As said fins don't have to be expensive. They keep coming out with gimmicky fins with all sorts of bells and whistles and crap, which tend to be expensive, and mainly exist to make manufacturers and shops more money. Not that there's anything wrong with that if that's what you want (and they don't break), but fins are a great place to save money and are also a pretty safe thing to buy used. I'm a fan of simple paddle fins and not convinced most of the fancy expensive ones are any better for the purpose. Also if you think you will travel to dive you might want to keep weight in mind, and simpler is often lighter. (Note when I say simple, I'm not talking about the lame fins that often come with some inexpensive snorkeling sets, those usually won't be suitable.)

I agree with the suggestions to try Leisure Pro if you don't have a shop nearby or if the local shop's selection is small. I have a beard so that makes it even more of a challenge to get a good fitting mask. I recently ordered somewhere around 6-8 masks from Leisure Pro, tried them all on, selected two I really liked and returned the rest. It was a very easy process to return them.

As for fins, the Mares Avanti Super Channels are very nice. I bought these, except the open heel model, and really like them. I have very little experience, being a beginner but they work well for me. They replaced a pair of Blades fins.

Great to know! We are hoping to get the class done in June, but since my doctor is insisting on doing a physical to sign the medical form (I do not understand why, she's been treating me for 6 years and a physical isn't required) we are worried the class will be filled up and we'll have to wait until July :( That will really stink- I want to do this now with the whole summer ahead of us.
Your doctor needs to ask you specific questions that are on the diving form. You are asking the doctor to fill out a form for you stating that you are healthy to dive and take responsibility for that signiture. You don't have to have a "physical" for routine medical treatments for a younger person, no meds, etc if you getting treated for a sinus infection or something simple. If you have certain forms then expect the doctor to want to take extra time to go over those forms and questions.

---------- Post added May 8th, 2013 at 05:33 PM ----------

The biggest difference between snorkeling mask and dive mask is the glass and the volume. You should have a tempered glass rated for depth. You don't have to worry about that while snorkeling but you do for diving especially deeper dives. The volume of the mask also comes into play. Dive masks are designed to have low volumes so they are not as affected by the changing pressures and are easier to clear and equalize.

They don't have to be expensive. The biggest factor in getting a good mask is the fit. The brand and the cost is second. I dive an Atomic subframe. My daughter dives a Cressi eyes. Different faces, different fits. The best is to try one on at the store, if not make sure the online vendor has a good return policy and doesn't charge a restocking fee. Leisurepro, Scuba.com, and Scuba Toys are my recommendations. Generally, if the price is close I do like to support my LDS and give them the business, but that is the subject of another thread.

Back
Top Bottom