Mask with purge valve, dangerous?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mine happened at depth.
i think that where it could become a safety issue is that divers who dive a purge valve don't practice clearing their masks. They get used to clearing the mask by blowing out their nose. They might also not practice diving with a flooded mask or may be uncomfortable be mask flood situations.
When the valve falls out, which mine did, there is no possible way to clear the mask. Its a big hole in the bottom of the mask! I may has well have taken the mask off and left it down there on the wreck. I could easily see where a diver dependent on a purge valve could panic in a situation like this, especially deep or in poor vis.

i have never heard of a purge valve popping out. adn if so it is no threat. if you cant replace it then fill it in with ome silycone adn seal it for good. then you will have a pergeless mask.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom