Mask trimming/cutting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anthony A.

Contributor
Reaction score
I purchased a secondary mask with a massive field of vision online as no local dive shops carried it. After putting it on my face, the silicone is a bit too deep near my nose pocket. Is it okay to trim some of the silicone off to better sit against my nose? Im hoping it wont be too big an issue for leaks, etc. Has anyone ever done this before with success?

What have you got to lose? I have had cockroaches eat a considerable portion of the endge of my mask under the nose and it still seems to work pretty well.. Why they tend to eat in only one location and not another is still a mystery.

Okay thanks for the suggestions. I did trim it but haven't tested it out in water yet. It fits better, but the portion i cut is not as smooth as the factory edges. I tried using a lighter as well as a soldering iron and rubbed it back and forth over the cut in an attempt to smooth it out but the silicone wouldn't budge. Im quite surprised that the silicone got very hot but did not smooth over at all when using a soldering iron. Any other known method to smooth the silicone?

If/when you determine this experiment has failed, look for a "low volume" mask instead of a "massive field of vision" mask. The best way to get a "massive field of vision" is to move the glass closer to your face, not increase the size of the glass and move it further away, or worse, to add extra panes of glass off to the side.

Back
Top Bottom