Mask strap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MKrauter

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Just looking for opinions on the neoprene mask straps. What is everyone's on these? Are they useful and dive changing or are they a gimmick. Do you prefer the original silicone strap?

They can keep a mask from sinking which can be good or bad depending where it gets loose. It helps with long hair. It can make it easier to lose a mask on a backroll.

Does that make it as clear as mud?

I've stayed with the stock strap.

Pete

I prefer the original silicone, seems my ears are too high on my head for the neoprene ones to be comfortable (rubs above my ears)

People like them for easy doff/don, and they're less likely to break than silicone

I use one and like it. There's a couple different versions depending on which dive shop you go into. One has velcro to attach it to the mask, the other has clips. I prefer the clip version. The strap is easy to adjust, even underwater if you need to for some reason.

There really is no such thing as a gimmick in most things. There are reasons why some people use things, and why others don't use them. Only when we get really emotionally attached to others approval do we need to even think about words like 'gimmick'.

That said, these neoprene mask straps really are a gimmick. They will basically never break, don't tangle in long hair (and thus tend to slide around long haired heads for good or bad), and in the right conditions make a mask either easy to take on and off, or easy to lose in the water, depending on which side of that equation you want to see.

Most are really tricky to adjust, so some people like to get neoprene covers that go over the silicone straps. That loses the 'never breaks' part but.

Neoprene mask straps and neoprene snorkel keepers are a girl's best friends.

That said, these neoprene mask straps really are a gimmick.

you mean aren't?

i've switched to the neoprene straps on all our masks... first time i switched was because of a sale... second time i actually wanted to because i loved the first set that much:

no difference between the two though even though they are different manu and different costs...

There really is no such thing as a gimmick in most things. There are reasons why some people use things, and why others don't use them. Only when we get really emotionally attached to others approval do we need to even think about words like 'gimmick'.

That said, these neoprene mask straps really are a gimmick. They will basically never break, don't tangle in long hair (and thus tend to slide around long haired heads for good or bad), and in the right conditions make a mask either easy to take on and off, or easy to lose in the water, depending on which side of that equation you want to see.

Most are really tricky to adjust, so some people like to get neoprenecovers that go over the silicone straps. That loses the 'never breaks' part but.

Neoprene mask straps and neoprene snorkel keepers are a girl's best friends.

I'm a little confused, what is your definition of "Gimmick"? Or is that just a typo?

I bought one. Within the next 5 dives, I lost my mask twice doing a giant stride. Once I grabbed it, once my buddy had to retrieve it.

Then I figured out what the tilting buckles on my mask are used for and I've liked it ever since.

Back
Top Bottom