Mask strap question....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikeguerrero

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all,

Can I get some opinions on a question I have about mask straps? Thanks....

I searched on the board and found lots of threads about the Slap strap and how many don't like the velcro version.

I own the velcro one, and have had problems with it not being on secure and having my Atomics mask leak.

I also have another mask the Seadive with original rubber strap that is covered by by a neoprene cover.

Love the ease of getting this mask on and off with just the neoprene cover.

I'd like to get another neoprene cover for my other mask, but I don't know if it meets the DIR standardization?

On the GUE site it says:

Mask The mask should fit comfortably, be low volume, and be of durable construction. The lenses should not remove too easily. The strap must be secure and resilient. After-market straps that substitute a neoprene-style attachment for the original may be more comfortable and are nearly unbreakable.

So from what I understand, the strap should be secure and resilient. Will the strap on the Atomics mask or Halcyon mask suffice with just a neoprene cover?

Thanks,

MG

p.s
On the GUE site they have this neoprene cover for sale, is this a slap strap or just the cover? I cannot really tell from the picture?

maul55.jpg

I'm not a GUE guy, but I've always heard the velcro straps like you already have referred to as "slap straps". You may just need to adjust the strap you have or change where you put the strap on your head.

I have never had issue with the velcro version. I made it tight the first time, no problem.

As far as GUE standards go:
On the GUE site it says:

Mask The mask should fit comfortably, be low volume, and be of durable construction. The lenses should not remove too easily. The strap must be secure and resilient. After-market straps that substitute a neoprene-style attachment for the original may be more comfortable and are nearly unbreakable.

I have had my rubber mask strap break several times on various masks, even the ones with just the neoprene cover. I have never had a "slap strap" break. The nylon with the velcro is much stronger.

If you prefer a nigh unbreakable strap sized to your head, You can remove the velco straps with scissors and use 1" webbing sewn in its place. The stitch needs to be done by someone with experience, but use the velcro to get the right size. The only two downfalls would be:
  1. permanent attachment
    and
  2. no longer adjustable

wear a comfortable low volume mask. A broken mask is just an opportunity to practice spare mask replacement :)

HOG, Oceanic and Dive-xtras all make "slap straps" with nylon webbing instead of the velcro. Length is adjusted with little plastic buckles:

X-Mask Straps - Merchandise - Dive Xtras

HOG NEOPRENE MASK STRAP

I found that the stiff/sharp edges of the velcro straps cut into the base of my ears :idk: The web strap of these other slaps straps are much more comfortable for me.

Henrik

I use the Oceanic Mini Shadow, which is a frameless mask. It comes standard with a great strap, no velcro involved, the webbing is adjustable with a slide. It will never break!

Here is a pretty good picture of the mask, where you can see how the strap is secured:
http://www.oceanicworldwide.com/img/p_masks_shadow1.jpg

They come in two sizes and two colours. Here is the main page:
Oceanic Worldwide - Scuba Diving Masks - Shadow Series

A strap like the one on the Shadow Mask could be what you are looking for, hope this helps!

Safe diving!

Hi all,

Can I get some opinions on a question I have about mask straps? Thanks....

I searched on the board and found lots of threads about the Slap strap and how many don't like the velcro version.

I own the velcro one, and have had problems with it not being on secure and having my Atomics mask leak.

I also have another mask the Seadive with original rubber strap that is covered by by a neoprene cover.

Love the ease of getting this mask on and off with just the neoprene cover.

I'd like to get another neoprene cover for my other mask, but I don't know if it meets the DIR standardization?

On the GUE site it says:

So from what I understand, the strap should be secure and resilient. Will the strap on the Atomics mask or Halcyon mask suffice with just a neoprene cover?

Thanks,

MG

p.s
On the GUE site they have this neoprene cover for sale, is this a slap strap or just the cover? I cannot really tell from the picture?

maul55.jpg

it's just a cover

I actually put the GUE cover (pictured above) over a velcro slap-strap. Seems to work well for me. A little extra padding plus with the extra neoprene, my mask floats now instead of sinking.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom