Lessons Mask strap broke during a dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hedonist222

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Yesterday while doing a solo dive my mask strap broke.
Halfway through the dive I felt the need to lift my mask off my face because I got a bit of squeeze.
The mask just came off my face. I thought I'd yanked it off my head, so I tried to place it on my face then lower the strap on the back side of my head but it came off again. I then realized the strap had broken.
Luckily I had a spare in my pocket and just put it on.

There was a bit of a current that day and by the time I figured out it was broken and replaced it I was pretty far off the site.

It wasn't even an old mask. Around 100 dives or a year and always stored indoors.

Carrying a spare mask is always a good idea and with the new low profile frameless models there's really no reason not to stash one on your person.
I realize that one could always hold it on to their face and just abort the dive, but what if it snapped off and you couldn't grab it before it sank or went with a current.

Food for thought.

yes carrying a spare mask can be a good option. especially when solo or in an overhead environment.

be sure to inspect it once in awhile. store it properly. do not wear it too tight. many people do. if the mask fits properly there is no need for a tight strap. it should be very easy to put on and take off and is only there to hold the mask in place. a tight strap will fail prematurely.

Get this kind of maskstrap.
Neoprene in the back to protect hair.
Ribbon and attchthingy (English word eludes me) clasp? No. Clip? No. Hook? No. WEll, the thing to thread the ribbon in to fasten it to the mask...
Will never break.
Mine is the wonderfull environmentally friendly, ocd-don't-like-chage-friendly 13 years old!! I love it!

Ribbon and attchthingy (English word eludes me) clasp? No. Clip? No. Hook? No. WEll, the thing to thread the ribbon in to fasten it to the mask...
Will never break.
Mine is the wonderfull environmentally friendly, ocd-don't-like-chage-friendly 13 years old!! I love it!

I believe the word you’re looking for is “velcro”.

And yes.

In my 50+ years of diving, average 100 dives a year, I have NEVER had a mask strap brake while wearing a mask UW, NEVER!! The only time I carry a spare mask is if I am doing a "technical" dive just in case but never had to use it. I do inspect my equipment before going diving.

Will never break.
i have no hair left so it is not an issue for me. lol but my wife loves hers. otherwise her hair becomes a tangled mess. especially in salt water.

I'm guessing it was a rubber strap? I always have a spare mask, but I still don't trust rubber straps.

Why not just exhale through the nose?

Rubber Beauchat Max Lux S.

Did not exhale because I felt congested and did prefer to have snot on my face.

In my 50+ years of diving, average 100 dives a year, I have NEVER had a mask strap brake while wearing a mask UW, NEVER!! The only time I carry a spare mask is if I am doing a "technical" dive just in case but never had to use it. I do inspect my equipment before going diving.

We all can't be perfect like you bolt snap. :p
I'll try harder next time inshalla.

We all can't be perfect like you bolt snap. :p
I'll try harder next time inshalla.

No, you just have to buy better equipment :p

lol

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom