Mask shopping

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Troopertrav

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
hello, I’m in the market for a new mask. I have a fluid go pro mount mask but it has started leaking. I have trouble with the frame of a mask pressing on my forehead so I’m leaning toward the AA frameless. My question is if the ARC is really worth $100 more than a venom? I’ve read a few reviews but I don’t really understand what conditions make it more beneficial. Being new to diving I’m not really sure what styles of diving i want to pursue i.e.: night, limited vis, wreck. should I just use an extra mask from my scallop trips until I gain more of an idea of what i need?
big difference in need and WANT in this sport.

Thanks everyone!

I tried a few in the store I’m hoping to get in the pool with a few next weekend

I tried a few in the store I’m hoping to get in the pool with a few next weekend

Excellent if they let you get in the pool. A quick way to narrow which ones are worthy of your time and effort is when you can slightly inhale and create suction of the mask on your face and it stays on without a strap on. Now put a snorkel or reg in and out of your mouth. If it still stays on, it’s a good mask for you. Remember to try to move only your lower jaw up and down when opening your mouth rather than your upper jaw which distorts your face and cheeks - it will encourage leaking.

I had a lot of trouble with leaking masks, must have a funny shaped head or face. TUSA Freedom HD is not bad. I have an Atomic Venom frameless and I like it. It is very touchy about how you have the strap adjusted, well...at least it is for me. If I have it too tight it distorts and leaks, if I have it too loose it moves around and leaks. It has to be just right for me, but when it is it is fantastic. Everyone is different and you might not have this issue. I had a lot of trouble getting the silicone off the lens so it wouldn't fog up when I first got it too.
Suggest you read the thread about the ARC coating on the new divers section. Another one to look at is the now discontinued {but still available} ScubaPro Spectra. Not the mini, the regular one. This mask has been replaced by one called the Synergy and it might be better or not, I haven't tried it.
Bare Duo B is another good one that is half the money of the others.

I had a lot of trouble with leaking masks, must have a funny shaped head or face. TUSA Freedom HD is not bad. I have an Atomic Venom frameless and I like it. It is very touchy about how you have the strap adjusted, well...at least it is for me. If I have it too tight it distorts and leaks, if I have it too loose it moves around and leaks. It has to be just right for me, but when it is it is fantastic. Everyone is different and you might not have this issue. I had a lot of trouble getting the silicone off the lens so it wouldn't fog up when I first got it too.
Suggest you read the thread about the ARC coating on the new divers section. Another one to look at is the now discontinued {but still available} ScubaPro Spectra. Not the mini, the regular one. This mask has been replaced by one called the Synergy and it might be better or not, I haven't tried it.
Bare Duo B is another good one that is half the money of the others.

Yes, too loose and current can move it and make it leak for me. Too tight and it can also flood - uneven pressure over different parts of the face distorts the skirt. When the strap is too high, it leaks...uneven pressure. Same with strap too low. Goldilocks! When right, and you will know through trial and error, my mask is amazing for me. :)

Yes, too loose and current can move it and make it leak for me. Too tight and it can also flood - uneven pressure over different parts of the face distorts the skirt. When the strap is too high, it leaks...uneven pressure. Same with strap too low. Goldilocks! When right, and you will know through trial and error, my mask is amazing for me. :)

Do you believe this is something that is common to "frameless" masks or is it the newer super soft silicone they are using for the skirts? I have been told to add or at least try one of those wide neoprene mask straps to help with the movement...might have even been you that suggested it. Haven't tried it yet, just haven't been doing a lot of diving at this time. Seems like in trying to make a better or easier sealing mask they have opened up a can of "new worms" so to speak.

Back
Top Bottom