Mask Removal/Replacement While Holding Trim & Bouyancy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

suthnbelle

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Next weekend I'm doing two days of diving to work on skills for an upcoming class this spring. I need some advice on how to hold my bouyancy while removing my mask and replacing the mask. Any helpful hints out there you all would care to offer? :D I think my biggest fear during this class (cavern) is losing bouyancy during this particular skill. BTW, I'm fine without a mask and I wear contacts so always keep my eyes closed when removing my mask.

Thanks for any help!!!!

I'd say just remember to keep a steady breathing rate while you're doing the skill. I a lot of student that remove their mask and take a big breath in. I guess it's a little nerve wracking the first few times for them. Your reg isn't going anywhere, just stay calm and get the work done. Cavern is a great class, it'l make you a much more attentive diver. Remember to stay steady and don't suck in a huge breath, which would be a large contributor to you floating up too much.

good luck

Agreed with Danny. Make sure you start out neutral and then continue to breath regularly. If you're truly neutral and you simply continue your normal breathing pattern, you should drift up or down more than 1' or so at most.

Have fun with the cavern class and good luck!!

Cheers,
Austin

Yeah, I have this thing where as soon as I take my mask off I suck in a big breath. Usually water thru my nose too and ends in a coughing fit. LOL! That is mostly what I'm going to work on next weekend is taking the mask off ALOT to get over the reflexing of taking in a big breath which I know while screw up my bouyancy.

You can minimize that cold water reflex by putting your face (without mask, but with your regulator in your mouth) in the water before the dive. Breathe a bit and let your face get used to the cold water.

That will get things to be less shocking when you remove your mask. Also, I find that when I intentionally flood or remove my mask I really focus on breathing BEFORE I do so-get a nice, even pattern going and try not to disrupt that when the mask comes off. If you can get past that initial gasp your breathing should stay regular.

matt_unique:
"Normal breathing" will depend upon the water temps. When super cold water hits your face you can't inhale for a few seconds. What temps will you have?

--Matt

I haven't been to Rawlings yet this year but the quarries around here have gotten up to 50-52.

Dsteding, I will be moving out your way this summer so I guess being used to cold temps is a plus. :D

It's much easier with eyes open (eyes closed is something that I'll probably be working on until my diving career ends), especially in heavy surge/currents. Maybe pick up a prescription mask and dive without contacts?

The big thing to remember isn't actually in removal of the mask, but actually replacment of the mask. You want to keep your normal breathing rate as you clear the mask. It's very common to get through the removal just fine, and then empty your lungs in an attempt to get the mask cleared in one breath.

dsteding:
Also, I find that when I intentionally flood or remove my mask I really focus on breathing BEFORE I do so-get a nice, even pattern going and try not to disrupt that when the mask comes off. If you can get past that initial gasp your breathing should stay regular.

But, to be fair, if your mask ever gets ripped off by a particularly mischievous kelp forest, it's not going to warn you beforehand. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom