Mask Reflection in Low Viz Water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DesertDiver80

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have a clear silicone mask which I really like. I've dove with it on several occasions with no problem both in relatively low viz and great viz. A few weeks ago, I dove in fairly green lake water with five feet of viz (the worst I've been in thus far), and kept catching reflections through my mask. My buddy's reflection would hit if he was close enough to me and it started to get really annoying trying to focus on my compass while watching for obstacles (like platforms that come out of nowhere in that water!) when I kept seeing those reflections.

Think a black mask would help? Or would I have the same problems? Is it the mask or the murky water and light causing me problems?

...//... Is it the mask or the murky water and light causing me problems?

Black skirts will only reduce the unfocussed light from the sides. They will do nothing for reflections. As tracydr notes, this is a good thing in poor viz / low light conditions.

In murky water you just slow everything down and enjoy the experience. Lots of things to be seen up close. If it isn't working for you, then pass on low-viz dives. No problem with that, very few people enjoy that sort of dive. Very claustrophobic experience for most...

Sadly, if I passed on low viz dives, I'd only get to dive on vacation! :) I don't mind the low viz, I'd just never experienced reflections like that before. It was the first time in that lake, just wasn't sure if buying a second mask would help. Heading home to Phoenix next weekend, I'll hit up my dive shop and see which one I like. I'll look up the Atomic Aquatics, too!

I swear after about thirty minutes of constant reflections I was starting to think I was hallucinating!

It should be easy enough to cup your hands around the mask skirt while you hover to see if black would relive your problem.

As one who gets his share of low visibility (which to me is much less than 5') I can't say I've noticed this.

Sometimes the angle of the sun, season/time of day will change the personality of a site.

Pete

It should be easy enough to cup your hands around the mask skirt while you hover to see if black would relive your problem.

As one who gets his share of low visibility (which to me is much less than 5') I can't say I've noticed this.

It's embarrassing that I didn't think of that myself. I'm heading back out tomorrow, I'll try that!

Back
Top Bottom