Mask recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sulwh

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Searching for a mask is exhausting. I have found a lot of conflicting information that basically boiled down to: you'll know when you know.

Are there any forum favorites? Or do I just keep renting masks until I find one that fits my face perfectly and then buy it straight from the shop?

Well I suggest considering a mask is the most important piece of scuba gear you will ever own
it should be as exhausting as going to a dive shop trying on 20 masks, then buying one or two

perhaps ending up with 20 or 30 masks scattered around the house with 1 or 2 that fit, like me

I bought 5 masks before discovering the ScubaPro D-Mask. It has skirt sizing options and even works well with facial hair.

A little over a month ago, my cousin lost his mask in Bonaire. We went to a local dive shop to try masks on. He tried mask after mask. His face is a completely different shape than mine, my face is round and his is oblong. He was looking frustrated, and I saw a D-Mask. He tried it on and it was a perfect fit. I think he got the narrower skirt and I have the wider skirt. After a few dives, he went on and on about how comfortable the mask is and how well it fit.

I need to buy another one as a backup.

I’m very happy with my Aqualung Teknika. I also loved the Tusa Paragon which looks great in selfies.

The Atomic Frameless is a great mask and it seems to fit a lot of people.

With enough tension on the strap you can get most masks to "fit" most faces.....but if you want a mask that seals first time, almost every time, you have to find one that is close to the shape of your face with very little or no pressure at all.

Field of view, color, price, brand etc. are all secondary considerations.

There is no substitute for going to a good shop with 30 different masks in stock and trying on a bunch. Find a shop with a liberal exchange policy and try the mask you select in a pool, return it if it leaks.

The best brand is the one that fits your face.

I've become a HUGE fan of Tusa. They make silicone and tempered-glass art, and Zensee is easily my favorite.

Oceanic/Hollis make great masks too, and I highly recommend.

There's no demonstrable benefit or detriment to a single vs dual lens mask. Fit and visibility are the only things that matter. Framed vs Frameless seems to be a "your experience may vary" sort of thing.

Also make sure you get a scuba mask and not a freediving mask.

Everyone's face is shaped a little differently. Although not dangerous, a poorly fitting mask will likely leak and that can be both annoying and distracting. OTOH, a well fitting mask will make your dive exponentially more enjoyable.

IMHO, your best bet is to go to a local dive shop (or maybe a couple if you can) and try some on. The amount of pleasure you will get will far outweigh the couple bucks you might save from an online dealer.

Also make sure you get a scuba mask and not a freediving mask.
Not sure why you say a freedive mask wouldn't work for scuba - they are typically just low-volume masks. Unless you are referring to ones with a curved plastic lens like the Sphera. Those are annoying IMO.

• Bullseye!
Reactions: L13
Chances are that any mask recommended by someone will not fit you. There is absolutely no other way than to find a shop that will let you try various masks in water. Pool preferably. When you get the right one, you'll know and you buy that one. Do not even consider price because the one that fits is priceless.
A $200 mask that doesn't is junk.
Good shops will have a demo of one of each that they sell and let you try them in the water. Also take a snorkel or even mouthpiece to have in your mouth when you try it because they change the shape of your face.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom