Mask recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chances are that any mask recommended by someone will not fit you. There is absolutely no other way than to find a shop that will let you try various masks in water. Pool preferably. When you get the right one, you'll know and you buy that one. Do not even consider price because the one that fits is priceless.
A $200 mask that doesn't is junk.
Good shops will have a demo of one of each that they sell and let you try them in the water. Also take a snorkel or even mouthpiece to have in your mouth when you try it because they change the shape of your face.

When you get the right one, you'll know and you buy that one.
I say buy 2 or 3 at least - odds are the one you love will be discontinued within six months. Then you will have to start the hunt over if you lose it.

XDeep fits many unless you have small head. It's pretty comfortable and has wide fow.

The one you need is the one that fits. I have to agree with @Still Kicking on buying a backup mask. I was lucky when I lost a mask with gauge readers that my LDS still had them in stock.

Also take a snorkel or even mouthpiece to have in your mouth when you try it because they change the shape of your face.

Definitely try the mask on with a snorkel or mouthpiece in your mouth.

I went through 20+ masks before I found one that worked for me.

and use something other than your face for expression of joy at what you experience whilst diving

Look at masks with a very soft skirt - the part that touches your face should be very soft. Some masks use more than one type of silicone.

I use a ScubaPro spectra mini. After training in my previous mask and mastering clearing a mask and mask replacement because I did it so many times - I went to my LDS and started trying on masks. The spectra mini fit the best.

Not sure why you say a freedive mask wouldn't work for scuba - they are typically just low-volume masks. Unless you are referring to ones with a curved plastic lens like the Sphera. Those are annoying IMO.
They work they can just get pretty uncomfortable at depth over time.

Even a free diver who dives deep is only under water for a couple minutes. They aren’t bad for shallow dives with scuba bottom times. Once you get down to 50, 60, 80ft though, you start feeling the pressure build up in the mask, you end up with a sore nose bridge, and some sweet imprinting.

• Disagree
Reactions: L13
They work they just get pretty uncomfortable.

Even a free diver who dives deep is only under water for a couple minutes. They aren’t bad for shallow dives with scuba bottom times. Once you get down to 50, 60, 80ft though, you start feeling the pressure build up in the mask, you end up with a sore nose bridge, and some sweet imprinting.
You need to equalize the mask (which is why low volume is preferred by freedivers).

• Bullseye!
Reactions: L13
Unfortunately, you have to suck it up and spend money until you find one that works on your face and then buy 2-3 of them and sell the rest.

Back
Top Bottom