Mask, purge or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When we started skin-diving a year ago my wife went purge for the percieved ease. I went non-purge to avoid a failure point. Nobody is going to tell me that embeding a hard object in a silicone membrane that will get frequently pinched is not a failure point, let alone the potential for the valve to hang or have a grain of something hold it partly open. This is my logic I you think otherwise so be it.

When we began OW instruction our instructor pointed out her purge as a potential failure point It wasn't a replace it or you will die thing just a comment, there is of cource the intructor/student effect. He believes it enough that he does not stock any purge masks. I couldn't disagree and told her to go go non purge if she would be more comfortable and she did. The other is still OK for skin-diving and as a spare so it's not entirely like she threw it away.

Now that she's comfortable clearing she says it's like rolling off a log and dosen't miss the valve a bit. She put her old purge mask on the other night as we were stowing gear and tried to do a valsalva and commented that it was PITA.

That's our experience, YMMV.

Pete

divetahoe:
First of all, welcome to the best sport/hobby to empty a wallet! :eyebrow:

I've used both and I will continue to use a non-purge. Why? Less to go wrong.
When I started my diving, I purchased a purge mask since the LDS touted it as easier to use and blah, blah, blah. It was easy, but then again, so is a non-purge. The problem started when my purge mask began to leak around the purge valve, long before the mask itself was nearing it's useful life expectancy. To make matters worse, the purge valve couldn't be replaced, I needed to replace the entire mask.
So I did replace it -- with a non purge mask. Several masks later, I still use a non-purge for ease of maintenance.

FWIW.

........almost exact same experiance. I don't know if I have ever seen an experiance diver with w/ a purge valve.

To each his own, but keeping it simple and reliable is very important in this sport.

Good Diving,

Dave

Nic160:
I've had both. I now use a non purge. The only downside I had with the purge was it was a little harder to get access to my nose in order to clear my ears. I never had any problems with the purge leaking. Though after a while anything is possible. RTKane in regards to your goatee try putting vasoline on your mustache before puting your mask on. This might help you get a better seal.

Is a petroleum based product, and will interact with the rubber, and destroy it over time.

They make a product that does a similar thing, but I don't know what? Anyone? I also have a stache, and was thinking of trying to find something to help my constant leak, even if purging the mask is not such an issue.

been using the same dacor quantum for almost 10 years now. still the most comfortable, driest, cheapest mask i've ever worn. it happens to be a purge. i have a mares x-vision for a back-up. that's a non-purge. nice mask. mega-wide field of view. i like what ever fits nice. i do like the purge though. i've never had a problem with it. i'll be bummed when the dacor kicks the bucket.

I have an Ocean Master with a purge. It's several years old and never a single problem or leaking valve. It has perscription lenses or I would have replaced her by now.

I would probably get a lower volume non purge mask. It's so easy to clear a mask you really don't need a purge and the valve cover does make it harder to reach your nose to equalize.

Its a matter of preference, not experience. To say that a purge is for beginners is a matter of opinion. I would say that a beginner might be better off with a non purge mask because a purge mask is a bit more difficult to equalize with at first. One of my dive buddies has been diving for over 35 years (he was a SEAL in Vietnam) and has over 8,000 logged dives (not an exaggeration) and a few more that he hasn't logged. Every time he buys a new mask, it has a purge valve. Neither he nor I have ever had a purge valve leak or fail. I have seen more than a few other experienced divers who choose them.

I have used both, but have been using a Scubapro (don't know which model) with a purge valve for the past 8 years. I like it because I just angle my head slightly down, exhale out my nose and the mask clears, no problem. I just find it easier and more convenient to use. The negative side is that access for equalizing is more restricted, but after a while equalizing is pretty natural. I also have a Tusa with a purge valve. Both fit my face really well and have proven reliable. So its really whatever you prefer. The buddy I dive with most prefers a non-purge mask.

As others have said, it is far more important that the mask fit properly. Other than that its a matter of preference.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom