mask problems..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wackodacko

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi everyone.. Im new to scuba and just finished my openwater crash course this weekend! =-) I have a question about my Tusa Platina hyperdry (M21) Mask.. i bought it online (grrr..i know! but it saved me like.. 50%) and it works pretty well (tight seal, fits my small face etc..) except it fogs up more than i'd like it to.. no matter how much i spit in it! I did the toothpaste trick twice, too. Another thing is the purge is crap--it doesnt work good cuz no matter how much i tilt my head to the left (thats where the purge valve is), water still settles at the bottom of the nose area so I have to clear it the old fashioned way anyways. My last complaint is about the nose plastic thing.. its so hard that i cant squeeze my nose with one hand! i gotta use 2 fingers from each hand and press it together.. (i cant equalize by swallowing or jaw-wiggling so i gotta do the nose pinching thing).. Do you guys think I should get a new mask or are these just minor things ??
Thanks..
:confused:

............ If you go to your LDS and buy a good mask that fits???

I would do just that, and think of the cost of the first mask as a learning experience. :huh:

It sounds like you know what to look for. Fit is the most important.

Welcome to the boards........ and to Diving!! :)

It is not implausible for a mask to need 6 treatments with toothpaste before it is clean. There is a commercial mask and slate cleaner which works even better. It is grey in appearance and feels gritty.

However, it sounds as though you and your mask are not too happy together. Might be the time to shop at some real shops and buy something that will make you truly happy!

A. I used to own a mask with a purge valve.
B. I have a tendancy to slightly exhale from my nose while diving.

A + B = FOG

Exhaling from the nose is a little more difficult when using a mask without a purge, just enough to keep me from fogging up my mask.

Those minor things add up to a dive not enjoyed. I would buy a new mask.

You can never own enough masks, anyway. I think i have six. For scuba, my favorite is the Cressi-Sub "Big Eyes". $55 at dive shop, $35 online.

If the toothpaste thing isn't working, try a mild abrasive like Soft Scrub cleanser.

NetDoc and Drew Sailbum. It takes several cleanings to get the mask to stop fogging and sometimes SoftScrub is better than toothpaste.

Also I agree with The Zer. If you get another mask(keep the first as back up) get the Cressi sub Big Eyes or its cousin the Horizon.

Clean both masks as recommended by NetDoc and Drew Sailbum and you should have no further problem.

while you are at the LDS getting the new mask pick up the 500 PSI mask defogger.

Originally posted by jbd
while you are at the LDS getting the new mask pick up the 500 PSI mask defogger.

That stuff is really good. I use it each dive trip, rub a little on each lens when I start unloading, fill with water when I start gearing up, and wipe out the lenses when I'm ready to go in.

Never had a fogging problem.

My buddy has a little more trouble with fogging. He uses the 500 PSI stuff as well. He's been fine ever since he started making sure to wash his mask between every dive trip [dishsoap and water]. On charter boats he'll bring a little dish soap with him and wash it between dives in the sink. Where there is no sink, he uses Armor All glass cleaning wipes to clean it between dives, drys it, and re-applies the de-fogger.

I'd agree with the rest of the posts here - you need a new mask!

By all means look at the Cressi Big Eyes as it's well spoken of but don't be swayed by fashion - get the mask which fits you best.

regards

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom