Mask problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TMHeimer

Contributor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Dartmouth,NS,Canada(Eastern Passage-Atlantic)
# of dives
1000 - 2499
OK, I'm a retired DM with 900+ dives. I have used 3 masks over my 17 years diving. Last 2 summers I have leak problems.
All OK until I first have to clear my mask. Then, constant leaks. I can resolve it by tightening the mask strap (never had to do that for 15 years) and nose-sucking. Tried different masks-- did the "face suck" test-- all OK. Changed straps because one may be a decade old. Of course the mask is properly seated under my hood (duh...). What think you? Maybe I'm 68 now and have a more boney face? The mask I used as my regular from about 2007- 2020 was a used one I found. Never had a problem with it until 2021. Then same problem with my other two.

When you’re trying on other masks, do you have a mouthpiece or regulator in your mouth?

My guess is change in skin elasticity or fullness. Tightening strap is only a patch on the way to finding a different one that fits.

Try food-grade silicone grease on the lower lip of the mask. Straps shouldn't be tightened at all.

Reactions: Doc
Years ago I had to replace the mask I had for years. Had similar issues til I borrowed a buddies Atomic mask. I hated spending the money then but I've had that Atomic now for well over a decade with zero issues

People often tighten a leaking mask. Normally a sign the mask doesn’t fit the contours of the face. Or the mask is being deformed by the added tension.

Mine started leaking earlier this year (after a warm water trip) and I did what I shouldn’t done, tightened the mask strap. It just kept seeping. Two dives later I released the strap to just stopping the mask from falling off - no leaks since.

It could be wrinkles. My smile lines have gotten deeper over the years and are letting water into my mask lately.

I need to be more like Kanye and look like a humorless ass most of the time.

It could be wrinkles. My smile lines have gotten deeper over the years and are letting water into my mask lately.

I need to be more like Kanye and look like a humorless ass most of the time.
Well this is what makes the most sense to me. Other than the skirting losing some "integrity", what else could it be? But I don't think it's the skirting because all of a sudden the same problem happened with all 3 of my masks. Yes, I solved to problem to an extent by tightening the strap after clearing the mask, but it's not like I've had the strap too tight to begin with for like 15 years with no problems.

Did you lose weight recently?

I have had a somewhat similar story to the OP and I find that I really need to stay shaved more than in the past. when I was younger I really had very few problems with mask leakage even when I grew a moustashe. Now at 67 YO I pretty much shave every day or so to keep from having leakage, even with a full face mask at work. Diving recreationaly I have three masks that I use the most, two Atomics (Venom and Frameless II) and a TUSA (Freedom HD). The Atomics require a very clean shave but the TUSA is much more flexible.

Back
Top Bottom