Mask on forehead = diver in distress?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dich:
Good points. But, please:
there
their
they're

are all different, though they sound the same.

Hey Dich, you may wish to double check the spelling of your screen name.

:)

I always love this one!

MOF is not "THE" sign of a panicked diver, but it could be "A" sign of a panicked diver. It's just something to look for. If you see an MOFer, you just want to check 'em out and see what's doing. If they're just hanging out at the surface chatting with fellow divers, then it's all good. But if they are struggling to maintain bouyancy, have spit their reg out, etc, they probably have a problem.

I always sort of saw it as "putting your hands around your throat" is a sign you are choking. Not everyone who is choking does this. Not everyone who does this is choking. But if you're in a restaurant and you see someone at the table next to you grab at their throat, you may want to take a closer look.

Again .. (PADI) I was taught that it could indicate stress in a diver, and as have others stated, have seen it indicate just that ... stress.
I never heard of it indicating distress untill I joined the board here, do instructors really teach that?
Use some common sense here people and look for other signs than this , there would be others that a diver is in DIStress

My mask is on my face when I am in the water, but sometimes before descending, I'll pull it down around my neck to rinse it out, just easier than removing it and wearing contacts, I do not like putting my face in just to clean it

Dich:
Good points. But, please:
there
their
they're

are all different, though they sound the same.

Dich: I hope your kidding, or maybe just a troll.

Back on topic:
I dont understand why there is such a big debate about this. You dont have to agree that every diver in distress always puts their mask on their forehead but if even 20% of the distress divers do it, then it doesnt hurt to say you will pay more attention to that one diver. I dont know one Rescue Diver/Pararescue C-Diver/DiveMaster/Instructor that will automatically jump into action as soon as they see someone with MOF. I might keep an eye on them but not going to just try to be a hero for the sake of doing it. I mean, after all the first thing you do is ASSESS THE SITUATION! A friend of mine put a mask on his head one day when we surfaced(which he normally doesnt do) and im a NMOF'er but i didnt say anything to him because i was next to him and could see he was ok(my mistake). Come to find out he was a bit motion sick and was very uncomfortable that dive. He was focused on copeing with his problem and just wanted to get his mask from over his nose. Different people do different things. No need to bash each other for it.

RJP:
Hey Dich, you may wish to double check the spelling of your screen name.

:)

LMAO....oh that was a good one

Well let me see. A diver in distress surfaces and spits out his reg. Ok, let's make a rule now. No divers are allowed to spit there regs out upon surfacing because only distressed divers have the right to do it. It is now a distress sign. We must all keep our regs in our mouths because only distressed divers are supposed to take them out.

Well that's exactly what happened with MOF. Who gave anyone the right to make a rule like that?

all4scuba05:

Great post! I was trying to think of a reply and you beat me to it. There is certainly a flaw in the logic of all those anecdotal stories that go something like "I saw a diver in distress and they had their mask on their forhead, so therefore a mask on the forehead = diver in distress."

JPG

I always thought that an insatiable, irrational craving for pizza was the most prominent sign of a diver in distress...

If any of you happen to ever dive with me, if you see *me* with my mask on my forehead, it is certainly a sign of distress. I can barely see a thing without it (although I could read gauges if need be). You know, I really like my prescription mask.

What I'm getting from this is that some will view MOF as a mild alert or a reason to make sure the person is ok. I can live with that. I don't think anyone is saying that if you have MOF then prepare to be rescued. I could be wrong. The only thing I think of when I see MOF is somebody is going to be buying a new mask. I've gotten to shore and my buddy said where's my mask? I had it on my forehead a minute ago.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom