Mask on forehead = diver in distress?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gallagj

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello:

Could someone please tell me the thinking behind this?

I have been diving with a new dive shop after being away from diving for 20+ years. One thing that they constantly stress is that a diver on the surface should never place his mask on his forehead because this indicates a diver in distress. When asked why this is I am told that one of the things that a distressed diver would do is put his mask on his forehead. I have a couple problems with that answer. When sizing up a diver, it is ridiculous to place this one criteria so high on the list of many signs of what would identify a distressed diver. Some other things that would be higher on my list would be things such as the diver splashing, yelling, waving arms around etc...

Is this a widely accepted thought? Does anyone know where it originated from and what the reasoning behind it is?

- JPG

JeffG:
Yes...Divers with mask on foreheads are doomed.
Don't listen to him!

He knows nothing about DINKR diving. A mask on the forehead simply means you are comfortable, and enjoying yourself. :D

It used to mean you were above the water line, but so many people these days are seen with their mask on their forehead under the water line that it had to change. :rofl3:

Of course this a large topic on the board. So much, it has been shortended to
MOF/NMOF (Mask on Forehead/No Mask on Forehead), and can be found in Basic Scuba. You really should ask there.
:popcorn:
---
Note: This was post number 3, until a rogue MOD got to the other answer as "hijacking" the thread :grin:

When I asked the same question during training I was told basically the same as you. What I was told is that "typically" the first thing a distressed diver will do when they surface is get the mask off their face trying to gain a comfort. The first place they put it is on their forhead. This is not meant to be the only sign of distress because flailing arms and possibly screaming will accompany it. A diver not in distress has time and their thoughts together to either pull the mask down or turn it backwards. The theory as explained to me is to make the mask on the forhead the sign for distress because that is something that is "typically" automatic for a distressed diver.

I had a hard time breaking this habit, but now days I try not to remove the mask to reduce fogging issues. If I do, I turn it around and place the mask in back with the headband over my forhead. Sometimes, I still forget, but it's getting more of a habit for me.

Not sure if this helps, but it's my $o.o2.

S. Nagel

gallagj:
Hello:

Could someone please tell me the thinking behind this?

I have been diving with a new dive shop after being away from diving for 20+ years. One thing that they constantly stress is that a diver on the surface should never place his mask on his forehead because this indicates a diver in distress. When asked why this is I am told that one of the things that a distressed diver would do is put his mask on his forehead. I have a couple problems with that answer. When sizing up a diver, it is ridiculous to place this one criteria so high on the list of many signs of what would identify a distressed diver. Some other things that would be higher on my list would be things such as the diver splashing, yelling, waving arms around etc...

Is this a widely accepted thought? Does anyone know where it originated from and what the reasoning behind it is?

- JPG

Hey JPG, I would like to welcome you to :sblogo:
Can you please fill out your profile so we can better help you with your questions and concerns.

It has been my experience the screaming and the wild waving are more accurate indicators of diver at the surface in distress.

Diver Dennis:
It has been my experience the screaming and the wild waving are more accurate indicators of diver at the surface in distress.
Exactly...

on a serious note (yes i can be occassionally Snowbear as well as having a sense of humor) the PADI site totally gets my goolies!!!!

their site has many pics of MOF'ers and then they teach that MOF is a sign of distress

PADI needs to get its story right - what theory are they pimping so we can all get it right (and be NMOF'ers)

Thanks all. I gald to find that I'm not the only diver that has questioned this "rule". I never realized what a hot topic this was. Me... I hate this rule - it does not make any sense and I nearly looses my mask when I try to follow it. And, not once has anyone ever tried to save me because of wearing my mask on my forehead.

- JPG

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom