Mask on forehead = diver in distress?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have only approached one diver who had their mask on their forehead to ask if there was a problem. It was not that that aroused my instincts but the fact that she was a student of another instructor. Had lost her buddy and the instructor, was coughing up a little water, and was looking around like "where the hell did they go". I aked her if everything was ok. She said yes and that her mask was actually the problem. It was new and not fitting properly. She just surfaced due to it flooding and was just going to wait until the others came up. I went down and let her instructor know she was ok since she did not signal them but just ascended. Oh, did I mention that the other factor in my taking action was that she was really cute. Not in distress but I would have been happy to "save" her.

Something else has occured to me with regard to the MOF kerfluffle...

We ain't the only ones who wear swim masks...

So, is this same message being promulgated along the inshore snorkelers so that there isn't any confusion??? What about the lap swimmer??? Would the fisherman in the boat 200yards down river... errr... the coast recognize it as a signal??? Would they respond to a MOF without any other indicators???

I'm not trying to make light here... or be a wise guy. The fact is that is probably where we all learned our MOF predeliction... that and watching old "Sea Hunt" episodes...

Still stickin' to my "possible as an *indicator*" - "lousy as a *sign*" position...

J.R.

Sea Hunt on the old black and white TV. Now that brings back memories.

JimLap:
I have only approached one diver who had their mask on their forehead to ask if there was a problem. It was not that that aroused my instincts but the fact that she was a student of another instructor. Had lost her buddy and the instructor, was coughing up a little water, and was looking around like "where the hell did they go". I aked her if everything was ok. She said yes and that her mask was actually the problem. It was new and not fitting properly. She just surfaced due to it flooding and was just going to wait until the others came up. I went down and let her instructor know she was ok since she did not signal them but just ascended. Oh, did I mention that the other factor in my taking action was that she was really cute. Not in distress but I would have been happy to "save" her.

Jim you should have thrown your arms around her to shield her from the vicious barracuda lurking below(she couldn't have seen it because she would have needed to have her mask on her face to verify):D Of course if you were in fresh water just substitute sunny for cuda!:)

After losing my mask and snorkel due to MOF I've come around and now pull it down around my neck. Funny thing is it actually isn't as bad as I figured it would be and I haven't lost a mask and snorkel yet since. As I see it to each their own. All I can say is I learned my lesson the hard way and now prefer to keep my equipment and continue to dive.

Jim

MOF is also a way of frying lice on your forehead if you have a prescription mask.

My first dive instructor (70s PADI), after seeing me on the surface with MOF said, "There are two types of animals... sea animals and land animals. If Sea animals lose their vision they are eaten by predators. Land animals who lose their vision in the sea spend another $75.00 to get their vision back"

It sunk in at the time... Today, I take the responsibility... sometimes. :grin:

Big Ry:
MOF is also a way of frying lice on your forehead if you have a prescription mask.
Only if you have a lens for hyperopia. It doesn't work with myopic lens.

Thanks for the suggestion, but my screen name is spelled correctly. Have a nice day!

From Uspap,

"Nemrod,
The responses in this thread are to a direct question. Who is it you feel should be leaft alone? I'm also not aware of a Poodle cert. Cool you have lot's of money. Not everyone is as blessed. I have 2 masks also and a descent amount of cash. I hate losing stuff though. I agree with you that, based on conditions you can pretty well determine where your mask goes. However, a fellow diver asked our opinion. If this topic irritates you don't click on it."

DSCF0112.jpg

So your saying I should not wear my mask MOF or what?
N

Back
Top Bottom