Mask Leash

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What? A leash on one's mask? No way! That's absolutely, positively, not-even-to-be-considered since it completely violates numerous tenants of the DIR method and code of conduct.

(NOTE!!! The above is said completely in jest--if you could not tell--and is in no way inviting flaming arrows of disdain, poisonous replies, curses, lectures, or 1000-post threads. It's just a weak--very weak--attempt at humor.)

Have a great weekend!

My mask leash is a lage rubber band which goes through a hole in the mask strap and around a velcro strap at the top or my BC where the inflator hose goes. Never had any problem with entanglement or any other problem with it secured this way. Considering all the hoses, regs and computers flailing around why would a mask leash pose some sort of a dangerous situation?

My hoses, computer and regs don't flail :D. But I think a mask knocked off the face and attached to the BC might. Although using a "break away" rubberband might mitigate an entanglement concern. Any photos?

I use to have a really cool leash with a fishing swivel on the end. It was a light cord that you loop over your head like the I.D. badge leashes that a lot of corporate workers wear now. Never had a problem with it interfearing with any of my other gear, or entanglement. I am on the west coast and entanglement is a constant issue with the kelp.

It worked fine for about a year until the day I had to rescue a new diver I was exiting through rough surf with. I pulled the mask and leash off and flung it up the beach with my fins while taking my rig off :shakehead:. Well I didn't get it far enough up the beach and the leash did me no good as the surf washed it back off the beach. Prior to that if I got pummeled by surf I never lost my mask.

Of coures all of the other divers on this board that dive nice calm quarries, east coast ankle slapper surf and paridise condition gulf waters would never understand the utility of a mask leash and are going to tell you how you are going to "DIE" immedeately if you loop one over your head while sitting on your couch at home. :D

I've never heard of anyone using a leash for their mask.
It could be clipped to the necklace that your 2nd is on or the separate necklace or to a chest D-ring. Does anyone do this?

Absolutely, yes.

For me, milspec habits die hard. I trained my SO, an otherwise tarfu diver, to use one from the get-go. It might take some accomodation for the first timer.

Why do I like it? I do not like pulling my mask down around my neck. PADI says that I am panicked it I suction cup it to my bald head.

If I don't want or need my mask for a moment, I just flick it off and let it drop in front of me. Causes absolute panic to a boatsman who might be extending his hand, but that's kinda' fun, too.

While I'm against it, if I had to "leash" my mask I think I'd use a slap strap and put a grommet in the bottom middle of the strap. Don't know where I'd tie it off, maybe the gooseneck on the BC? I hate creating loops that might get snagged (and that's the problem I have with necklaces, clipped SPGs, etc.).

While I'm against it, if I had to "leash" my mask I think I'd use a slap strap and put a grommet in the bottom middle of the strap. Don't know where I'd tie it off, maybe the gooseneck on the BC? I hate creating loops that might get snagged (and that's the problem I have with necklaces, clipped SPGs, etc.).

Just snap it to a (non-DIR) retractor and clip the retractor to the top of your BC or tank valve. That way you will always be in a head up position while diving. :rofl3:

Just snap it to a (non-DIR) retractor and clip the retractor to the top of your BC or tank valve. That way you will always be in a head up position while diving. :rofl3:
I like that.

On a slightly different note, we have a hook on a line from the O1 deck so that when I sit down below it I can take the weight of my SL-17 off my neck. Makes life a lot easier, I got some wicked stiff necks before we did that.

Commercial divers don't have the hat on long enough on the surface to get a stiff neck. Going in it's the last thing on right before you do your "superman" into the water
xangel.jpg

And getting out we really hold that :03 or less time to get into the chamber!

I understand, we often have a situation where we'll be taking sediment samples at a bunch of fairly close locations and thus the hat stays on and the neck gets sore.

I liked your idea, I'll have to remember that one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom