Mask Leash

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

robanna

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I hear about people carrying a spare mask in case there's gets knocked off but I've never heard of anyone using a leash for their mask.
It could be clipped to the necklace that your 2nd is on or the separate necklace or to a chest D-ring.
Does anyone do this? If not, why?

I guess it could be done/has been done. It could possibly get in the way of your regulator, your hoses, as well as anything if it was long enough to clip to a D-ring.
Where on the mask would you clip it? I don't know of any other place except the strap where it could possibly move around the back, and if it came off you would have a better chance of retrieving it if it fell free than hang off of your back.
Also a potential entanglement hazard if it was long enough. There are enough of those even if you route your hoses, clips, etc...to decrease chances of entanglement.
For me, less is better.
I'm sure some other members will come around and provide some more insight to your question...Maybe more than you wish:) This question has potential:)

rawls summed it up pretty well.

The entanglement issue seems to be the show stopper.

It's also a fairly rare problem so that doesn't get it a lot of attention.

If you are wearing your mask in very turbulent water you can wear your hood over the strap. this is not unheard off.

A search will get you more of the same.

Pete

I think rawls hiit the nail on the head.

I keep mine in my bellows pocket. I also have a backup double ender in my pocket that acts as a leash- it gets clipped to the mask strap and to the gear loop in my pocket.

My mask leash is a lage rubber band which goes through a hole in the mask strap and around a velcro strap at the top or my BC where the inflator hose goes. Never had any problem with entanglement or any other problem with it secured this way. Considering all the hoses, regs and computers flailing around why would a mask leash pose some sort of a dangerous situation?

Considering all the hoses, regs and computers flailing around why would a mask leash pose some sort of a dangerous situation?

I think you just answered your own question.

I have never had to use the mask in my wetsuit pocket, but my students and buddies have and usually to look for their mask which they carelessly dropped! :D

But really, if you are going to encounter POUNDING waves (I am thinking once at Venice Florida) or high velocity current (cork rock???) then this might make sense for you. I personally don't think I would like it! :D

Never had any problem with entanglement or any other problem with it secured this way. Considering all the hoses, regs and computers flailing around why would a mask leash pose some sort of a dangerous situation?
I wouldn't be worried about it being dangerous and getting entangled in fishing line or nets, but it might interefere with my backup reg or light cord and other crapola on my d-rings. I guess it would be more of a nuisance factor than a danger factor. I rarely use my backup mask and I usually wouldn't need it urgently like I would need my backup reg.

People carry a backup mask because of the seriousness of the situation after you lose a mask, not because of frequency that you lose it. A leash does not address mask failure, something to consider also.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom