Mask for people with Glaucoma

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dutchman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Friend has glaucoma and his field of vision is very bad.
He has problems with locating his gauges and other tools
without moving his head a lot. Sometimes he still
needs help finding things on his BC.
Any good suggestions for a mask with a wide angle lens.
Thanks

Dutchman,

Sorry to hear about your friend's problems. I've been reading a bit bout this condition and info from this site states the cause of glaucoma:

The two main types of glaucoma are primary open angle glaucoma (POAG), and angle closure glaucoma. These are marked by an increase of intraocular pressure (IOP), or pressure inside the eye. When optic nerve damage has occurred despite a normal IOP, this is called normal tension glaucoma. Secondary glaucoma refers to any case in which another disease causes or contributes to increased eye pressure, resulting in optic nerve damage and vision loss.

I'm no doctor and you may want to post this on the medical board as diving will cause pressure around the eyes so I'm not sure how this will affect your friend.

For the part of getting a mask, these are wide field masks that you friend can try as fit is the most important thing in choosing a mask.

Cressi big eyes or matrix, Atomics ultraclear, mares xvision and pure vison, tusa viewtrek. Note these masks are twin lens masks and you can get prescription lenses installed.

SangP

I agree about Cressi. I have their Horizon and the field of vision is unreal. I too have glaucoma but not as bad. The Cressi's are easy to clear, good field of vision and you will find the price ranges over a $100 different depending on if you buy them from an lds or on the internet. That part is ridiculous.

Masks are cheaper here cus a matrix was about SGD$78 during adex and that's bout usd $50.

SangP

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom