Mask flooded when sideways

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pauldw

Contributor
Reaction score
Usually when I dive I’m looking pretty much down. But last time I was out I was diving where I wanted to look in crevices in the rock, and the crevices were just above the bottom. So I would tilt my head sideways to the right or the left to look, and every time I did my mask flooded. I couldn’t figure out why. Ideas?

A fold of skin causing a slight "crevace"? (No idea what the beautay people say, but as we get older we look more like our parents complete with facial wrinkles!)

Something pulling on the mask? Mask slightly over your hood? Mask strap loose?

Should (?) be able to try it out anywhere: turn sideways and slightly exhale through the nose to see where the water enters.

Maybe even facial hair -- get a razor man! Actually that could be the point as an under-nose carpet would normally be at the bottom and the ambient pressure in the mask would keep the water level down.

Maybe even that there's a slight split in the mask. It doesn't fit properly.

My side burns cause this exact issue. gonna have to go to a low volume mask to resolve it

A fold of skin causing a slight "crevace"? (No idea what the beautay people say, but as we get older we look more like our parents complete with facial wrinkles!)

Something pulling on the mask? Mask slightly over your hood? Mask strap loose?

Should (?) be able to try it out anywhere: turn sideways and slightly exhale through the nose to see where the water enters.

Maybe even facial hair -- get a razor man! Actually that could be the point as an under-nose carpet would normally be at the bottom and the ambient pressure in the mask would keep the water level down.

Maybe even that there's a slight split in the mask. It doesn't fit properly.
I agree. I'm 68 myself and recently posed a thread question on why all of a sudden (last year or so), my masks (3) were all flooding to various degrees. And I do notice that this happens when I do anything but straight forward swimming-- turning head, ascending, descending, etc. Maybe a new mask is the answer, but I'm trying to avoid that (it's fine if you're made of money). Also, I could just get younger instead I suppose.

My mask was doing this, and I solved it in my case by tightening the straps slightly. It's a fairly new mask, and I tend to start off with them pretty loose.

Do you wear the strap low on the back of your head? Feel the back of your head as you turn side to side, As you get closer to your neck the skin doesn't move as much with your skull. This can cause a pull one one side (and go slack on the other).

Or as others stated, your face gets a new shape that doesn't match the mask as well.

You should be able to play around with this on dry ground. Mask on, turn head, what is happening?

I agree. I'm 68 myself and recently posed a thread question on why all of a sudden (last year or so), my masks (3) were all flooding to various degrees. And I do notice that this happens when I do anything but straight forward swimming-- turning head, ascending, descending, etc. Maybe a new mask is the answer, but I'm trying to avoid that (it's fine if you're made of money). Also, I could just get younger instead I suppose.

Or get a nip and tuck job on your wrinkly face?

Back
Top Bottom