Mask explodes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've worked in the glass/window business for quite some time, and I have actually seen 'tempered' glass break into large, sharp pieces, twice. This is not what the glass is supposed to do, it was actually improperly processed. This definitely sounds like a defect in the material.

I am curious as well to know the make/model of the mask, and it would definitely benefit to contact the manufacturer in regard to this defect.

Did it "explode" or "implode"?

the K
Don't know if this is at all related to the mask issue, but we had a side rear glass station wagon window pulverize itself a few cars ago. We arrived at a large family gathering, parked the car and were milling about drinking beer, greeting everyone when there was a loud, "POW!" and glass fragments flew everywhere. Nobody had touched the car, but the window completely disintegrated. This was a Ford Taurus that we designated a "serial lemon" because something major went wrong in serial fashion over the first 18 mo we owned it (windshield wiper motor blown, window disintegrated, fractured engine mount bolt, transmission #1 blown, transmission #2 blown; all covered by warranty, fortunately). We surmised that the glass was under twisting pressure because of inappropriate torque within the car frame and it just chose that moment to self-destruct.

Just clearing up a point. To "explode" the pressure inside the mask would make it blow away from the divers face.

Masks "implode", that is, the pressure of the water against the lens is greated than that within the mask causing the lens to fracture and move toward the diver's face.

the K

No exploding experience here but as an eye doctor, I've thought about this some(over the past 20 years of so)......We have NOT used glass in lenses for wellover 15+ years on a daily bases.....plastic is 6X safer than glass & polycarbonate is alot stronger than plastic(figure out the math vs glass on the latter).....
I would imagine it's a money thing--ie glass is CHEAP compared to the other 2 & doesn't scratch as easy....If there are enough of these accidents, you'll see glass go to the wayside just like in the ophthalmic industry....

I agree. Commercial diving helmets have Lexan face plates because most other materials are too brittle. Here is a photo of a hat with a Lucite place, think of what it would look like if it was glass :confused:

lucite.jpg

My friend got newly certified yesterday and whilst diving his mask exploded. The tempered glass was in masssive shards, very sharp at that. He was not injured but scared to death. Anyone have a simliar experience?

Follow your My Anguilla Bliss

How did this happen? It's the first time I've ever heard of this

R..

I wonder if it was a dive mask or snorkel mask? Some of the (cheaper) snorkel masks have thinner glass than a dive mask and aren't meant to go very deep.

My thoughts exactly. Sounds like it was a result of a descent without equalizing and it failed due to weakness.

If it truly was a dive mask, or a dive mask without a failure he should have had a mask squeeze instead of an implosion.

Just clearing up a point. To "explode" the pressure inside the mask would make it blow away from the divers face.

Masks "implode", that is, the pressure of the water against the lens is greated than that within the mask causing the lens to fracture and move toward the diver's face.

the K

He could have had his mask strap really tight, and it could have been made of something non stretchy like Cordura. This is highly unlikely just imagine the pain. :dork2:

Anyway, I am glad he wasn't hurt.

Sure would like to know the brand and model of this mask

It could have been some sort of knock-off. I imagine it's a lot cheaper to write "tempered" on plain glass than it is to actually make tempered glass (assuming it even said it was tempered).

This happens in other areas too. For example, there are products with counterfeit "UL/CSA" labels.

Terry

How come we haven't heard from Phelana yet? What brand / style mask? It's impossible that it exploded and if it imploded then the divers face must have succombed to some serious squeeze first. Did he get black eyes or bloodshot eyeballs? This sounds like a made up story not an actual event to me.

The other option is that something struck the mask on descent causing the lens to shatter. That's a whole different scenario with a new set of different answers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom