Mask and snorkel advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hawktuner

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am just getting back into diving because of a friend. I have been out for several years, and not familiar with the new names to scuba equipment now. I am looking for an inexpensive mask, and snorkel for recreational diving. Can anyone suggest some good equipment?

I'm getting one of those foldable snorkels--by JBL, they say--$20 or so. Shop I will visit in FL has them in stock. Just a thought.

There are lot of cheap and good masks here:
Masks

As for snorkels try not to get ones with a corrugated hose on the bottom and ones with huge tops like this:
The reason is the soft bottom and heavy top with flop all over in even relatively mild surface conditions.

I like the Aqua Lung Impulse 3 Snorkel as it has a really good mouth piece that can be changed for other regulator type mouth piece instead of the rather flimsy soft ones on most other snorkels.

The Hog Tech Mask $21.50 is another good cheap mask.
Review
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zdefwjogugs
snorkels
http://www.diverightinscuba.com/catalog/snorkelssnorkels-c-61_423.html

You could get a price matching from diverightinscuba.com on the whatever snorkel and mask you see.
http://www.diverightinscuba.com/cat...roducts_id=97&&code1=AKS400-BS&price1=19.0000

The Akona Abaco and Andros look ok even though both have the corrugated hose bottom cus their top doesn't look too heavy.

Attachments

• XSSS3F.jpg
    XSSS3F.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 357
Last edited:
I found the US Divers three view masks sold at Wal-Mart to be a durable and comfortable mask. Snorkel, my advice is a flex end with NO purges or tube blocks and a large diameter tube, KISS. The snorkel in post 4 maybe fine for snorkeling only but when used in conjunction with SCUBA can cause more drag and get in the way. I have no experience with foldable types. I do know when I want to use my snorkel I don’t want to be digging it out of a pocket, I want mine hanging on the left side of my mask ready to use.

Snorkel? Mask, buy one that fits.

Cheap and good do not always equate. The variation in price is not so great as the difference in fit and quality. I suggest you find a good fitting mask, and buy it. As for a snorkel, I have a folding snorkel which is great for DM's and instructors, but not for recreational use. In a snorkel I think you want 3 things- a flexible hose between the barrel and the mouth piece, a drain valve at the bottom of the mouth piece, and a barrel diameter of alt least 3/4of an inch. You can get a good snorkel for about $30.00. You can a good mask from anywhere from $50 to $100.00 or more. But you should not need to spend more.
DivemasterDennis

Cheap and good do not always equate. The variation in price is not so great as the difference in fit and quality. I suggest you find a good fitting mask, and buy it. ...Bunch of stuff deleted... You can a good mask from anywhere from $50 to $100.00 or more. But you should not need to spend more.
DivemasterDennis
On the other hand, expensive and good don't always equate. The key is fit, regardless of price (cheap or expensive). If it doesn't fit you didn't get a good deal no matter how little or how much you paid. And a good fit is worth whatever you paid, most likely.

I bought a mask, fin, and snorkel package for ~$25 that works fantastically for me. You don't have spend anywhere near $50 to get a good fitting mask. If you're willing to buy used you can get them for as little as $2 or $3.

As others have said, the key to a good mask is fit. Some people have faces that will work with any mask. My most recent student, in contrast, has a very narrow face, and after a very long fitting session determined that only two masks out of the many the shop carried would fit her properly. If you don't have a good fitting mask, you will be unhappy. If you are unhappy, you will buy a different mask. Suddenly you have just doubled the price of the mask (at least).

I purchased the mask I usually use in 1999. I have used it for 99% of my diving since then, including ocean dives, fresh water dives, and countless pool sessions with students. I would guess it has been used a few thousand times. It is in perfect condition. I don't remember how much I paid for it, but on a per use basis, it is pennies. An excellent, good-fitting mask can last you a lifetime. Purchase the right one from the start, and you will be much happier in the long run.

I didn't mention "fit" because hopefully anyone with an O/W card has been told that. If not, the instructors are worse then even I feared.

Course the funny thing is many LDS tend to only carry the $80 masks from TUSA, ScubaPro et al. At this point the "fit" argument becomes more of a selling tactic. In other words, buy from me so you can try it on.

I've bought masks online and had no problems with fit. Or the $20 price.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom