Mask and snorkel advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hawktunes,

My most complete answer regarding you new mash can be read here.

In the vast majority of cases having a decent snorkel is very much to your advantage and even moreso as you get started. One with a top shield is noce when waves may break over you but a supurb dry model is porbably overkill.

Pete

I didn't mention "fit" because hopefully anyone with an O/W card has been told that. If not, the instructors are worse then even I feared.

Course the funny thing is many LDS tend to only carry the $80 masks from TUSA, ScubaPro et al. At this point the "fit" argument becomes more of a selling tactic. In other words, buy from me so you can try it on.

I've bought masks online and had no problems with fit. Or the $20 price.

That's a very good point. I don't think I've ever tried on a mask that fit so poorly I couldn't dive with it. I think shops (and I'm guilty of it too, even in my post above) make far too big an issue of this.

It's really not difficult to clear a mask, after all. Certainly clearing a few times per dive rather than once isn't worth the difference of $30-$100 in price for me. I have yet to pay over $15 for any mask I've bought and I have about 6 of them, I think. Every single one of them fits me and no two are from the same manufacturer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom