Mask and corrective lenses. Pls help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Terry, I have been wearing glasses for more than 10 years. I would happily swap my glasses for contacts if possible. But like I said, I am one of those who cannot wear contact lenses where it felt very uncomfortable. Thanks anyway for the comment

And like Marek said, yes, I am new to scuba diving and would not want to spend that much yet especially since my myopia and astigmatism is not that high... OTOH, I want to be able to see clearly underwater...

I think I will go with what Marek suggested, i.e. round-down. Hopefully, this work out. If not maybe I will try to get my LDS to exchange the lenses :)

Btw, Marek, if it's of any help, I am using a Technisub Look Mask. Reasonably priced and come with corrections from -1.0 to -10.0 and +1.00 to + 3.00 (I think)...

Thanks ALL for the useful comments.

Cheers
fc

blues_diver:
Btw, Marek, if it's of any help, I am using a Technisub Look Mask. Reasonably priced and come with corrections from -1.0 to -10.0 and +1.00 to + 3.00 (I think)...
Yeah, that's the same mask I have. Price is just a bit less than most, and the lenses are available in a wide range of powers -- also a bit less costly than most.

So, where are you... in Europe somewhere? UK? I don't think the Technisub brand is marketed in the States... there they're branded US Divers/Aqualung Look. Made in Italy in either case, I think...

--Marek

I am in Asia, currently living in Singapore. Yeah, is made in Italy and is branded as Technisub over here as well. Its affordability is something I like and no problem with the mask...Using the clear skirt now, but the black skirt seems very nice...One day, I will get the black one and use the clear as back-up :wink:

fc

blues_diver:
I am in Asia, currently living in Singapore. Yeah, is made in Italy and is branded as Technisub over here as well. Its affordability is something I like and no problem with the mask...Using the clear skirt now, but the black skirt seems very nice...One day, I will get the black one and use the clear as back-up
I've got the one with the black skirt. If only because I'm much too old for anyone to be associating the term "snot-nosed" with me!!!

Disclaimer: In no way do I mean to indicate or infer there is one or best solution. I merely provide the results of my experiences and sincerely encourage all readers to use what works for them.

I rented a mask once with correction from small med and large choices. In the air I really debated the increase in price for a ‘corrected’ mask (I felt even more blind) but on vacation and living large I went for it. It did work pretty well – much better than none - but it was very disorienting unless I turned my head and not my eyes. Possibly as my eyes are uneven, that added to my dislike. If you could rent something like that, I suggest you try before buy.
I borrowed a mask corrected very close to my eyes and the problem for me was much worse disorienting. Perhaps I could get used to it though.
My eyes having remained at the same RX for approximately 20 years have suddenly changed (for the better!) – 3 changes at 5 years ago, 2 and 1 year ago. I’m really glad I didn’t get the RX or screw up the mask I found after much looking that fit my face.
I used to get glasses with big lenses. My optometrist talked me into small lenses by explaining how my eye worked and mechanics of shaping and I have never been happier. I asked him what he thought would work best for me and outdoor sports, water sports and masks in particular. His recommendation was contacts after many years in practice where using a mask is more common than wearing a watch. He said mask correction was a good solution before contact lenses evolved to what they are today and, he would not discourage me from getting an RX mask.
I too cannot wear contacts – can not achieve a correction and comfort level to wear them daily. Tried hard with hard lenses (better correction) but simply could not bear them.
My solution is soft lenses for outdoor sports. The longer lasting or thicker ones are far more uncomfortable than the weekly replace kind and work well for me. My optometrist was willing to let me try every kind of contact (I lost count) most needing special order, to find what did work for me.
I generally bring along a case and glasses just incase, but have not made the switch for several years now by tossing them if there is even the slightest discomfort when I first put them in.
Good luck with your choice!

Redrover, thanks for the comment. It seems that you have found a good solution, and yeah I do envy those eagle eyes out there as well...too much staring into monitor and TV...

But so far, contacts is not working for me. There always LASIK when my myopia worsen... :wink:

fc

Marek K:
I've got the one with the black skirt. If only because I'm much too old for anyone to be associating the term "snot-nosed" with me!!!

Ha ha....but the black skirt looks nice, its all that matters plus the fit :)

blues_diver:
Thanks All for the prompt reply. Incredible SBoarders!

Unfortunately, I am one of those which cannot wear a contact lense and since I am still new, I don't want to spend too much on a "tailor-made" prescription mask....hence the off-the-self corrective lens route.

For your information, I have a -3.25 on my right eye and -2.75 on my left eye. Both eyes have minimal astigmatism (-0.50) and as Marek mentioned, this should not be problem when underwater.

As the mask I use, the corrective lenses come in increment of 0.5 diopter, I am now totally loss on whether to get a stronger one i.e. -3.5 and -3.0; or -3.00 and -2.50.

Any other comments/help will be appreciated.

Thanks!

I am legally blind without my glasses and have a stigmatism. I bought my fiorst mask with factory ground lens in 1980. I used a 6.0 magnifiaction based upon how it worked in the store. Find something you like/works for you and stick with it. Remember, nobodys vision is perfect underwater.

Thanks Mike for the comment. Just got myself a pair of new lenses. Will try it out next week to see if works. I guess it will involve a certain degree of trial and error.

fc

Come dive in ireland on the east cost. With a vis of 16" you probably won't need to worry much abut lenses. :lol3:

blues_diver:
For your information, I have a -3.25 on my right eye and -2.75 on my left eye. Both eyes have minimal astigmatism (-0.50) and as Marek mentioned, this should not be problem when underwater.

As the mask I use, the corrective lenses come in increment of 0.5 diopter, I am now totally loss on whether to get a stronger one i.e. -3.5 and -3.0; or -3.00 and -2.50.

Any other comments/help will be appreciated.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom