Maryland woman dies in Key Largo 12-30

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would still bet a myocardial infarction .... But only an would tell us. It is unsusual to see an MI in a 50 year old woman, but the last code I ran was on a 45 year old woman with an autopsy proven MI.

Are you sure you meant to say the statement in bold (I put it in bold)?? Cardiovascular disease is the number one cause of death in American women. Unfortunately most physician don't recognize that more women die of heart disease than men each year.

For a beginner, the safest exit and climbing back on board is with a regulator in the mouth. This eases the fin removal, the climb, and management of the rocking motion of heavy waves. This is why I believe that beginners should exit with 1000 psi, especially in rough sea, and when your swimming skill is less than competent.

While I think asking beginners to come back with 1000 psi is a bit over the top, I totally agree that keeping your reg in your mouth until you are on deck is good procedure for all divers. That is the way I was taught and even though some DMs laugh at me and say "You can take your reg out now" I've slipped more than once coming up a ladder. Even though I never fell back into the water, without fins on it's a good idea to have a source of air just in case.

I fully agree and advocate the use and necessity of an AED. But you really have to stop and remember that sometimes it just doesn't matter. People die and nothing in the world that you do can save them............ People die crossing the street, people die sitting on their couch, people die sleeping in their bed. and you know what, nobody spends the next month talking about why on the internet. It is incrediblly easy to be a monday morning quarterback. Sometimes there are no answers. They have a name for that. It's called life.

"Nobody gets out of here alive", but the medical profession can sometimes delay the inevitable.

We do the best we can. Having an AED and CPR skills should be a part of our preparation.

I agree that we don't know the actual cause of death, but it's difficult not to move into the 'lessons learned' mode.

Are you sure you meant to say the statement in bold (I put it in bold)?? Cardiovascular disease is the number one cause of death in American women. Unfortunately most physician don't recognize that more women dies of heart disease than men each year.

You are very correct Ann. MI rate in woman is lower than in man, until they reach menapause. The rates start to climb after the age of 50 or so, and is the same as man's rate by 60 or 65.

At 50, however, it is still lower in woman than in man. That's why my comment is that it is a little unusual to think about it.... But again, many woman reach menapause at 35 or 40, or have had a hysterectomy.. Many also smokes, or have diabetes...

I did not imply that woman have a lower rate of death from MI than man, it is just lower at the age of 50.

My comment about 1000 psi implies rough sea, difficult exit, and a beginner doing his/her own navigation.

As opposed to Mexico, which requires a DM to lead all diving groups, in Florida, you're on your own. The Benwood would have been an easy navigation back to the boat, but many reefs are difficult to navigate, I find. Geographic navigation worked for me on most reef there in Key Largo, but some are spotty with current, and hard for a beginner to navigate.

Aborting a dive with 500 psi, and only to find yourself hundreds of yards from a dive boat can burn alot of air, for a beginner.

It is surprising to see how many groups have to do multiple resurfacing to find their boat... And a beginner group without a dive leader can get in alot of trouble if they surfaced at 500 psi in rough sea.

Heck, if it is flat sea, no waves, anyone can get back to the boat .... I meant in rough sea, lack of effective navigation, a beginner should stay close to the boat, or leave plenty of reserve air to find and swim back to the boat.

First and foremost, my condolences to the two divers' families and friends. Although I play a "doctor" (of a different sort) on TV (and in real life), I'm not the kind qualified to make intelligent guesses remotely about the diver's medical condition. Although there are some in this thread who are certainly more qualified than I am, I think whatever members post about the medical conditions of these divers remains strictly speculative until there is an autopsy performed.

Wow, she was associate biology professor:

**** :: Campus Mourns Death of Florida Keys Scuba Accident Victim
(I figured out a way around the blocked links of the tabloid trash rag **** :) )

KEY LARGO, Florida (31 Dec 2007) — Students and faculty at the College of Notre Dame of Maryland are mourning the passing of Dr. Nancy Kreiter, a renowned associate professor of biological sciences who died while scuba diving in the Florida Keys.

Since she joined the biology department 11 years ago, Dr. Kreiter was highly regarded as a teacher and researcher.

"Any of us who worked with Nancy knew of her incredible commitment to her students and to the College. Most of all, we were blessed by her warmth and caring," said Mary Pat Seurkamp, president of College of Notre Dame. "She was well-loved and admired by her students and colleagues."

Monroe County Sheriff's officials told **** that Dr. Kreiter, 50, died while scuba diving with Reef Adventures at a wreck diving site off Key Largo.

Two days before she died, Dr. Kreiter had completed a scuba certification course.

Her husband, David, told authorities she had no major medical problems but was taking medication for a severe cold and lung congestion.

Participants in entry-level scuba diving courses learn that they must not dive when they have a cold.

...I totally agree that keeping your reg in your mouth until you are on deck is good procedure for all divers.

I don/doff fins with my reg in. They can be stuck on pretty well at the end of a dive and more than once I have fallen over and splashed around getting the damn things off.

On a shore or boat exit, I keep the reg either in my mouth or in my hand until I am away from the water. People have died from tripping and being unable to recover a reg. It's a real Muphy way to go, but I'll keep my air handy to keep the mean old bastard away.

While I think asking beginners to come back with 1000 psi is a bit over the top, I totally agree that keeping your reg in your mouth until you are on deck is good procedure for all divers. That is the way I was taught and even though some DMs laugh at me and say "You can take your reg out now" I've slipped more than once coming up a ladder. Even though I never fell back into the water, without fins on it's a good idea to have a source of air just in case.

I agree - the reg stays in till the butt hits the seat!

My comment about 1000 psi implies rough sea, difficult exit, and a beginner doing his/her own navigation.

Heck, if it is flat sea, no waves, anyone can get back to the boat .... I meant in rough sea, lack of effective navigation, a beginner should stay close to the boat, or leave plenty of reserve air to find and swim back to the boat.

Rough seas is why I carry a snorkel. If you've ever been there, the experience stays with you for ever!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom