Maryland Divers: Where do you get helium?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mwpowell

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I recently got certified in normoxic trimix, and want to start using trimix for some of the local ocean wrecks. Unfortunately, I'm not aware of any shops in Maryland that pump helium. What are you Maryland trimix divers doing to get your trimix fills?

Thanks,

Mike

Heya, Mike. I wouldn't respond, but I noticed you haven't gotten any bites yet. Although it's in NoVA, VA Scuba is the only place I know of that is pumping trimix in the Metro area. In the long run, you are prob better off calling Lee's, Roberts, or whomever you have up there and starting to mix your own.

We went that route and haven't looked back since - http://www.atlanticunderwater.com/equipment/fillwhip.shtml

mwpowell:
I recently got certified in normoxic trimix, and want to start using trimix for some of the local ocean wrecks. Unfortunately, I'm not aware of any shops in Maryland that pump helium. What are you Maryland trimix divers doing to get your trimix fills?

Thanks,

Mike

Why don't you check with Jeff Johnson
http://www.divesafety.net/

He can probably point you in the right area..

Thanks for the replies. We are headed in the direction of pumping are own mix, but it's going to be a while before we're setup. In the interim, I was hoping that there was a shop somewhere reasonably close that could fix us up, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Jeff Johnson is my instructor, and he has been very helpful. I was just curious to see what other folks in Maryland are doing. The tech community in MD seems pretty small, which I guess explains why none of the local shops provide trimix.

Mike

mwpowell:
Thanks for the replies. We are headed in the direction of pumping are own mix, but it's going to be a while before we're setup. In the interim, I was hoping that there was a shop somewhere reasonably close that could fix us up, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Jeff Johnson is my instructor, and he has been very helpful. I was just curious to see what other folks in Maryland are doing. The tech community in MD seems pretty small, which I guess explains why none of the local shops provide trimix.

Mike
Yeah, the tech community anywhere around here is pretty small.. :) We'll be up in Ocean City this weekend and I'll ask Ted if he knows of anywhere and report back.

They still put helium in balloons... you can even get some that say Happy Birthday, Get Well Soon and other cools sayings...! DIVE DIVE DIVE

mwpowell:

Thanks,

Mike

toodive4:
They still put helium in balloons... you can even get some that say Happy Birthday, Get Well Soon and other cools sayings...! DIVE DIVE DIVE

Balloon grade helium is definately NOT suitable for a breathing gas.. some people use "industiral" which is much better but still below recommended purity.. The minimum recommended (US navy) is grade 4.7 (although many shops use 4.6 (zero) grade I don't, because Its also below the minimum recommended grade)

Personally I use grade 5.0 since its the first grade that guarantees co and co2 levels (remember alittle co or co2 at depth can be deadly).. above grade 5.0 has become way too expensie (6.0 is about double 5.0 in price).. retail on 5.0 is now over $200 per T cylinder, while "industiral" is about half that.. This puts the shops cost at aound $0.70 per cu ft, so if you aren't paying above this I would really find out what you are breathing!

That was a joke... but in retrospect, you are right (since I didn't clarify that,) some ding dong might actually try it. Thanks for cleaning up my assumption that all of us diver's have brain cells...

Ken

padiscubapro:
Balloon grade helium is definately NOT suitable for a breathing gas.. some people use "industiral" which is much better but still below recommended purity.. The minimum recommended (US navy) is grade 4.7 (although many shops use 4.6 (zero) grade I don't, because Its also below the minimum recommended grade)

Personally I use grade 5.0 since its the first grade that guarantees co and co2 levels (remember alittle co or co2 at depth can be deadly).. above grade 5.0 has become way too expensie (6.0 is about double 5.0 in price).. retail on 5.0 is now over $200 per T cylinder, while "industiral" is about half that.. This puts the shops cost at aound $0.70 per cu ft, so if you aren't paying above this I would really find out what you are breathing!

toodive4:
That was a joke... but in retrospect, you are right (since I didn't clarify that,) some ding dong might actually try it. Thanks for cleaning up my assumption that all of us diver's have brain cells...

Ken

Damn! Now what am I going to do with all those ballons?

Hey Ken. Haven't seen you around in a while. You still at Undersea Outfitters?

Mike

Mike,

I haven't had anything to do with them in almost a year. I'm teaching private lessons using an affiliation with Scuba Ventures. Hows the house coming? Hope all is well... Who are you diving with these days? Barclay, John Clark and myself go diving from time to time... you ought to join us...

Ken

mwpowell:
Damn! Now what am I going to do with all those ballons?

Hey Ken. Haven't seen you around in a while. You still at Undersea Outfitters?

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom