Marker buoy and spool

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sbiriguda

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Good afternoon,
I would like to buy an inflatable marker buoy and a spool
I know there are different kinds of marker buoys, which can vary
I have been told to search one with the following features:

1) balloon 1 meter long with capacity of lifting a weight of about 3 kg
2) closed (in order to prevent it from becoming empty in the surface and sink)
3) mouth inflatable
4) line 30 mt
5) valve to avoid eccessive pressure when the balloon goes out of the water

These suggestions have been given to me based on the experience of an instructor with beginners, the main idea is to keep it as simple as possible and to reduce the weight

Anyway this is just a starting point, I am open to any suggestions
Thanks

Some people prefer a 2m SMB (surface marker buoy). It's bulkier but can be seen from farther away. Points 2,3,4 look good. A pressure relief valve is nice to have but you can allow for expansion by only partially inflating the marker.

My current favorite is the Halcyon 6' Big Slim.

If you are diving open ocean and there is a chance of swell, bigger IS better. You really do want to be seen. Flat calm, sure, a little sausage is fine. Lots of YouTube video on setting up and shooting your bag. I prefer to launch deep as it takes much less air to have it full by the time it reaches the surface and you have an easy way to judge your ascent rate. Boat also gets an early indicator of where you are and that you are in fact on the way up - especially helpful in drift dives. I don't use my little sausage anymore other than as a lift bag for my stringer

If you are diving open ocean and there is a chance of swell, bigger IS better. You really do want to be seen. Flat calm, sure, a little sausage is fine. Lots of YouTube video on setting up and shooting your bag. I prefer to launch deep as it takes much less air to have it full by the time it reaches the surface and you have an easy way to judge your ascent rate. Boat also gets an early indicator of where you are and that you are in fact on the way up - especially helpful in drift dives. I don't use my little sausage anymore other than as a lift bag for my stringer

Snowdog, yes I am aware of the importance of the size
Still, provided my level (still beginner) and the fact I will use it mostly in the mediterranean sea a small one could be sufficient
I also have been told that the larger ones require more skills, otherwise they can even become dangerous

Nice looking bag - seems to have everything you will want/need. Do like the built-in bungee over the typical velcro closure and it has an included boltsnap. Not sure of the price but it certainly fits the bill. and yes, spool over a reel always.

Last edited:
I also have been told that the larger ones require more skills, otherwise they can even become dangerous[/QUOTE]

yes, line can get wrapped on fingers/gear or fouled on the spool and it will drag you to the surface. Yet another reason to launch deeper as the lift is less. As with everything - practice if you haven't done it in a while

Back
Top Bottom