Marker buoy and spool

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is there any drawback to the ones that have an "open bottom" for filling from your reg? Like maybe they tend to open up or leak at the surface?

Specifically, the 6' HOG SMB
You can fill it thru the nipple valve, or thru the bottom of the SMB. The 6ft has an open bottom and the smaller ones have a sealed or closed bottom.

OP is on the right track. FWIW, I like the 6' Halcyon and their Defender spool. Easy to hold both in one hand and inflate, and 6' increases visibility at the surface; good combo. Regardless of brand, I might suggest a 150' spool to allow some line for current. Whatever you get, make sure you practice and commit it to muscle memory.

I live in Ireland and the Atlantic gets very rough at times with normal size waves being 2 meters 6 feet)

Should I get a 3 m DSMB or 2 m as the 3m will be a lot harder to use and Im also embarrassingly yet to shoot an SMB for the first time....

I live in Ireland and the Atlantic gets very rough at times with normal size waves being 2 meters 6 feet)

Should I get a 3 m DSMB or 2 m as the 3m will be a lot harder to use and Im also embarrassingly yet to shoot an SMB for the first time....
I'd get the biggest one you're comfortable shooting and launch as deep as possible. Yes, it will be much harder to get a sufficient volume in a 3m to ensure it's full at the surface prior to getting dragged up during the inflation phase but, you can always orally inflate any remaining volume at the surface. Staying horizontal really helps limit the ascent during inflation (you're already DIR so not any issue there). I use an open bottom SMB and inflate using my reg purge. Some have an air nozzle on a LP inflator hose (doubt that is DIR) that works well for the bigger bags. There's no way you'll fully inflate a big DSMB using even a full breath unless you are really deep. Practice, practice, practice is about all I got.

The problem with a really tall smb is that you only need
a large smb when it is rough, otherwise a small one is fine.
The problem is that it is only really rough when the wind is blowing. And when the wind is blowing it is basically impossible to keep a large smb upright and not
Folded over. So unless someone is looking for you from an airplane, bigger isn’t necessarily better. 2 meters is reasonable I wouldn’t want a bigger one.

Is there any drawback to the ones that have an "open bottom" for filling from your reg? Like maybe they tend to open up or leak at the surface?

Short answer No. They have two flaps inside which prevent the air escaping

My go to is the AP valves Dsmb The inflation cylinder is refilled from your normal dive cylinder. It is heavy but since you're cold water diving it shouldn't be an issue. It's about 5' you open crack open the bottle and let it go.

Yes they are expensive. In context mine is 4 years old, has been shot around 400 times. The bag needs replacement as the inner layer has broken down allowing are to leak at the seams. That said, I live in Dubai so the poor dsmb has been exposed to high temps and lots of UV. Lots of things don't last half as long.

The big advantage of the crack bottle is that even if you launch it from the SS it reaches the surface fully inflated, enough so that you can hold the whole tube above your head and wave.

I also have a 3m (12') dsmb which is 0.3m (12") in dia. You seriously wouldn't' want to inflate that underwater - I have once for a giggle. This is used for bad situations at teh surface, where you'd fill it from your reg (or 50 breaths) and use it to attract attention or as a secondary flotation aid for you and a buddy. However a useful bit of kit to keep on your rig , especially in the Atlantic

The problem with a really tall smb is that you only need
a large smb when it is rough, otherwise a small one is fine.
The problem is that it is only really rough when the wind is blowing. And when the wind is blowing it is basically impossible to keep a large smb upright and not
Folded over. So unless someone is looking for you from an airplane, bigger isn’t necessarily better. 2 meters is reasonable I wouldn’t want a bigger one.

I don’t think you understand what I’m saying....(not to be rude)

In the Atlantic where I have dived mostly, in calm weather, the waves are regularly 1- 2 m (mostly 1 and1/2 / 2m).

You say you can only keep the DSMB upright if the wind is not blowing, the wind is always blowing dude.

I’m not arguing with you, but please explain how bigger isn’t better when visibility is concerned. To me if there is more to see, you will be more likely to be found and quicker, at least that’s what the coastguard says.

Last edited:

Specifically, the 6' HOG SMB
There is a massive drawback to open bottom SMBs I’ve heard. Not a problem in the water.

If it is open, water goes inside and it will take longer to dry.

There is a massive drawback to open bottom SMBs I’ve heard. Not a problem in the water.

If it is open, water goes inside and it will take longer to dry.

Please forgive this embarrassingly remedial question, but how does one get the larger SMBs to stick up out of the water on the surface without tension on the line? Doesn't that require letting some water in to act as a balancing anchor? Or are the larger ones weighted with this in mind?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom