Marine Park "Nature Fee" increases to $40 effective January 1, 2019

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1st, these guys were not divers, they were snorkelers. 2nd, in Bonaire, I've never seen any kind of activity by park authorities at any of the dive sites whatsoever.
Well, they are out there. We have seen them checking tags, checking gear, confiscating gear, maintaining site markers, clearing illegal mooring lines, etc. It’s not an easy job and full enforcement will never happen.

Well, they are out there. We have seen them checking tags, checking gear, confiscating gear, maintaining site markers, clearing illegal mooring lines, etc. It’s not an easy job and full enforcement will never happen.
What we always need to remember is that it is a small island and all of the folks who grew up there or have been there for a good period of time, probably know the person or know someone who knows the person they are talking to about illegal activity. That makes strict enforcement tricky. I love Bonaire and as long as the diving stays as good as it is, I will keep returning. The cruise ships are annoying but can provide economic opportunities that will pull people away from destructive activities. There is a balance to be struck there. It is wonderful to go there in the summer when there are no ships but, I don't know what those that make money from the turd factories are doing to eat during that period.

I find it hard to believe the pod people are contributing that much to the Bonaire economy.....don't cruise ships provide meals as part of the fare? If so, why would pod people pay to eat in Bonaire restaurants? How much merch do they buy on Bonaire? I assume a cruise stops at several ports all of which sells merch to the passengers...stiff competition for merch per cruise I would think...does anyone know the revenue numbers on divers staying a week on average versus revenue numbers for cruise ships? I find the statement in the plan that stay over divers is not enough to avoid economic stagnation going forward dubious at best...but...I don't know the numbers so I could be wrong. Additionally, this plan strikes me as unrealistic at best. If they turn Bonaire into Aruba that just makes it another Aruba...why not just keep going to Aruba in that case? Diving on Bonaire strikes me as a niche market versus Cur and Aruba. How does matching their business models help you? Frankly, I think the cruise ship deal is mostly ego driven by the powers that be on Bonaire as well as the development plan to cater to the posh...I find that almost laughable to be honest...but, as I stated earlier, the numbers could prove me wrong.

I think it is all about the excursions. Tours, snorkeling etc. The unique excursions that Bonaire offers does offer such as windsurfing and kitesurfing I am guessing would not appeal to most of the cruisers I have observed. Booze is probably cheaper on land than the boat and I think most of them will eat lunch while on the island.

Imagine, if you will, a Bonaire with lots more cruise ships than today, but also Margate Bay with a high rise shore-side resort complete with artificial sand beach.

Now replicate that all the way north to Kralendijk. THAT is what I fear, and based on trajectory - and the plans laid out in the TCB strategic plan - I have no reason to doubt that an attempt will be made to get there. The development surge may, and probably will fail for any number of reasons I can imagine.

I'm told the Chinese builders have tons of experience in burying reefs under sand and building high-rises on top.

Talking to locals, they say the .Gov loses money on the front end on every ship that docks. They say that in the docking fee, all resources needed are covered. Rope crew, tugs, etc, the total costs are higher than the ships pay. Gotta cover that money somehow. ...

They also have the new tags in. They're an anniversary tag.

Talking to locals, they say the .Gov loses money on the front end on every ship that docks. They say that in the docking fee, all resources needed are covered. Rope crew, tugs, etc, the total costs are higher than the ships pay. Gotta cover that money somehow. ...

They also have the new tags in. They're an anniversary tag.

New tags look great! Picked ours up this morning.

Attachments

• E2487F19-12C7-48A4-9DE1-1C0214D55C56.jpeg
    E2487F19-12C7-48A4-9DE1-1C0214D55C56.jpeg
    38.9 KB · Views: 166
Was in Bonaire for the first time in April 2018. Stayed at the Divi. Enjoyed all of my shore dives on the island. Most morning we woke up to find 1 or 2 LARGE cruise ships in the port. Had several chances to chat with Bruce @ the Caribe Inn, and my only regret is not going to Bonaire in the 70s, 80s and 90s. Scientists are on record in forecasting the disappearance of reefs in the Caribbean by 2050ish. I suspect that the Bonaire government and business leaders are developing the Island with this in mind. It's a shame. Having said this I'm planning at least one more trip in 2019. Cheers.

Was in Bonaire for the first time in April 2018. Stayed at the Divi. Enjoyed all of my shore dives on the island. Most morning we woke up to find 1 or 2 LARGE cruise ships in the port. Had several chances to chat with Bruce @ the Caribe Inn, and my only regret is not going to Bonaire in the 70s, 80s and 90s. Scientists are on record in forecasting the disappearance of reefs in the Caribbean by 2050ish. I suspect that the Bonaire government and business leaders are developing the Island with this in mind. It's a shame. Having said this I'm planning at least one more trip in 2019. Cheers.
Speaking as a retired scientist, scientists are known to be wrong on occasion. Also, it is much more likely that such predictions were prefaced by a comment such as, "If things continue as they presently going..." Personally, I rather suspect that the reefs will outlive humans, unless of course, they kill all life on the planet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom