Mares Volos vs Bio splits?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GDCB

Reaction score
I was a jet fin guy years ago. You know young, strong, full of beans. But now, old, slow, methodical...well not that bad. I bought some Mares Planta Avanti thinking I'm still strong enough to kick a big blade BUT! When in the pool the truth came out. I tried a pair of Volos and muscles that were giving me problems felt better with the expensive Volos. Then I was told to try the Bio splits. None were available to try so I'm asking you guys.

Carl

I dive with the mares volo powers, and I dont have any complaints about them yet. given, i am still ridiculously new to diving, but i can tell you that the volos do not make me cramp up, they are good with all kinds of finning techniques i have tried, and are just plain great.lots of power for little effort. perfect for my own personal needs. i have never tried the bios, but i have been told they are also very good fins.

cbrunberg:
I was a jet fin guy years ago. You know young, strong, full of beans. But now, old, slow, methodical...well not that bad. I bought some Mares Planta Avanti thinking I'm still strong enough to kick a big blade BUT! When in the pool the truth came out. I tried a pair of Volos and muscles that were giving me problems felt better with the expensive Volos. Then I was told to try the Bio splits. None were available to try so I'm asking you guys.

Carl

I dive with BioFins. However when I went dry I purchased a pair of Avanti's as well. Unfortunately I changed boots, and they ended up being too big, but on the few dives I did with them, I really did not care for them all that much.

My buddy and I were both diving dry, but he also brought his Volo Power fins, and as his feet were bigger than mine, and I was saying that my feet were slipping around in my Avanit's, he let me use his Volo Powers on the last two dives we did.

I like them a LOT better than the Avainti's (however partially because the mares felt like clown feet with the too big size), but no where near as much as my bioFins.

The only downside of the BioFins is that they are expensive, and very hard to find used. However I did manage to find a pair of larges used on Ebay. So now I use Mediums for warm water, and Larges for dry.

I've tried a lot of different fins (mostly in pools), and I've not found anything I like as much as the Apollo's. There is a very good reason that for the past several years, they continue to rate as the #1 fin in Rondales ScubaDiving review. Some will poopooh those results, but read the testing procedures and decide for yourself.

They are also VERY comfortable with the soft rubber foot pocket. I have spring straps, and like those very much as well.

I have the Apollo Bios and they are the easiest kicking fin. They are plenty fast. My only issue with them is the weight for travel. I have a pair of full foot Atomic splits for warm water travel which I find nearly as fast and they are better frog kick fins than the bios which are a little too pliable for frog kick but with a flutter kick either of these splits are hard to beat.

I'm going to toss in another vote for the bios. I'm so confident you'll like them... if you get a pair from us and you don't like them, send them back, even used and I'll give you a full refund. You'd be the first that did....

I've got the Volos and prefer them to ANY split fin: they give you the power of a split with the finning versatility of a paddle. Best of BOTH worlds, IMHO.

The two types of splits I've tried have left me disappointed, so I'll stick with the Volos. :thumb:

Scubalab compared them to Volos as well as others and they won hands down...at first I could not believe it, but got a pair of each. Pool was really good on the Tre's but then I tried the Caribes as good if not better:11doh: ...Price for the Caribes $20.00 from Leisure sports, $44 for the Tre's with free shipping, Better than the open heel split fins I had been using and much lighter too.....

If your doing the Warm water, give them a Try--- I'm taking em South next week, will let you know how they did in the Carribean....:14:

Go with the Apollo Bios i own a pair and they are the best!

Very comfortable and easy on the legs.

Scuba diving magazine has voted them "the testers choice" #1 fin for 2-3 years in a row.

Hey..... if Larry from Scubatoys is throwing out that kind of endorsement ,That right there tells you alot about the Apollo fin!

Being in Calif you should have no problem finding a dive shop-that would let you test a pair in their pool...

Here is the Apollo Website with plenty of great info~do yourself a favor and check it out.

Cheers!

http://www.apollosportsusa.com/Products/Fins/Biofin_Pro.htm

billeelou:
If your doing the Warm water, give them a Try--- I'm taking em South next week, will let you know how they did in the Carribean....:14:

See my full report on them, Warning Do not try to Dive with the Caribes...Flimsy, way too flimsy

Brunberg, you will like the BioFin. Watch the sizing. A "medium" will fit a size 10 with boot.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom