Mares Volo Power

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aleem.k713

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey folks, Im in need of a new warm water fin. I have looked into the mares volo powers and they have great feedback. I seen a couple videos and the fin looks to flex quiet a bit but many have said its a powerful fin. If anyone has experience diving these in a decent current can express how they felt it handled the situation.

Just saw this listing,
Volo Power is great. Lots of power in wicked current.. Have used for years

I have a pair of XL Volo Power fins for sale if you're interested.

I have almost exclusively been diving the Volo Race (full foot version) - they are amazing in my mind. I have never had any issues catching up with people in currents, and find that they work well for all kinds of kicking, I mainly do frog'ish (I turn my feet so one sole is pointing in and one out), and then I do dolphin kicks if I have to go fast and have the space for it. If you're used to big rubber fins you might have to alter your back kick though since the side isn't as tall. At surface swims I'm always faster than most other divers despite going relatively relaxed. Due to their length and flexibility I also find that you can get quite a bit of thrust from small ankle movements for swimthroughs and the like. While providing this power they are also some of the least straining fins in terms of your ankles I've tried, you get a lot of movement compared to the energy you spend. They feel so natural to wear that everything else I've tried so far just feels wrong - either it feels big, clunky, and straining (e.g. Avanti) or like not moving anywhere (most standard plastic fins).

I haven't tried them with heavier equipment than standard tropical diving though, I would suspect that they are less efficient if hauling steel tanks and the weights needed for drysuits - but can't say.

Oh and they've lasted 10+ years of diving and snorkeling now, typically being strapped to the outside of a backpack that's being thrown around (the two holes are great for tying them down), and are only just starting to crumble a bit in the rubber parts, nothing too serious though - still going strong.

I have these, I was just watching a video I took by accident, didn't know my Gopro was on. I was doing a drift dive in a pretty strong current. My fins looked like they were bending at a 45 degree angle just casually finning. The other divers in my group were much more experienced than me. They were using full foot Quatros and they could handle swimming against current 10 time better than I could. I would not recommend the Volo's for current.

IMHO Mares Volo is a poor fin. Mares Quattro are miles ahead. Oms slipstream are my choice of warm water fins.

Speaking from experience.
Quattro is a good choice.
Slipstream is even better because it is shorter.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom