Mares regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Redshift

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I came across the opportunity to get a good value on a Mares Abyss 22 nitrox reg.
Mares are not common among the people I have dived with and I was surprised to see that despite their advertized cold water characteristics, they don't have a sealed 1st stage. Apparently people have not been having problems with this if taking basic measures to prevent free-flows so I guess I'd be ok with it... but then there's another another situation where I think the open 1st stage could be problematic, when diving in more silty conditions (which often happen when in caves).
Any thoughts or experiences with these regulators?

It's a diaphragm reg and is sealed by design. Mares do make an "environmental" kit if you want to add a second diaphragm.
It's one of the easiest regs to self service.

Silt will never be a problem to the 1st stage.

2nd stage cannot be disassembled by hand underwater.

Thanks for the info.

I dive cold water (40-50) all the time with my abyss 22 and it's never free flowed on me. After the first two years I did add environmental kits just to add a little extra reassurance.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom