Mares reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sk290

New
Reaction score
I purchased a Mares Abyss 22 regulator at Gander Mountain in Houston this last summer so it's fairly new. Since then my regulator has been making the Darth Vader sound, have been serviced in Cozumel January, again (twice) in Bonaire last week due to flooding and I had to dive with my cheap octopus instead. It's pretty sad when your cheap octopus works better than your first stage gear which was NOT NECESSARILY CHEAP! Gander will not service it because they say that I need to go find a Mares distributor. I thought they WERE a distributor. Service there sucks. That's probably why the prices were so great! I've looked on line and Mares does not have an address or service information and the local shops will not service gear that was not purchased through them. I wish I knew all of this before making my purchase. Now I'll have to spend twice as much buying a regulator with a GOOD service warranty. Has anybody gone through this with Mares or am I the only one? Buyers beware!

From my experience with Mares, there service has been nothing short of amazing. My Abyss 22 works flawlessly, I got it just after Christmas last year.
I'm sure a Mares rep will be here shortly to answer your questions. Just chill for a bit, no one likes helping a panicked diver! Capeesh?

-Dave

Perhaps you can share with me where you have your reg serviced so that I can also get this awesome service that has been alluding me. You're right. Afterall, it's just my life we're talking about...

Perhaps you can share with me where you have your reg serviced so that I can also get this awesome service that has been alluding me. You're right. Afterall, it's just my life we're talking about...

I dive an older mares (MR12 III) and love it... :crafty:

I get all of my regs (4 systems) serviced at Blue Water Diving in South Daytona, FL. Very fast turn around, many dive shops in Orlando & Daytona area use him. Not only is he good, but works on every reg as if he is the person who is gonna dive it. He even sends old parts back so you can see what and why he replaced them.:eyebrow:

here is the web site: Red Sullivan's World Famous Blue Water Diving - Daytona Beach, Florida

Good luck.:D

Haven't needed to have mine serviced, but if I did and I lived in the U.S of A I would be sending them to Joe and Larry @ Scubatoys!

I've had ScubaToys service my Mares Reg and they did a great job at a very reasonable price.

I do alot of my own service, but needed a part I did not have, so I had them do the repair - when I got it back, it was set perfectly, no "tweaking" needed.

Living in TX, you will probably have less than a week's turnaround time.

Sk290,

Wait till the boys are here, I think Phil maybe still away as Zak has said on another thread, and I am sure they can help you out.
I have no doubt that the boys from Scubatoys might be able to help you out as well.

I still have no idea however why stores will not service gear not brought from them. It eliminates an entire avenue of profit and new customer base.

tracy

Sk290,

I still have no idea however why stores will not service gear not brought from them. It eliminates an entire avenue of profit and new customer base.

tracy

Tracy, surely living in Oz you realise that no shop will touch your gear if you even mention internet purchases. Rather than try to get customers back in their store, they simply treat you as a second rate citizen, and close ranks around those people willing to pay double for the same stuff.

-Dave

Hi Dave

I am actually very lucky where I am that the local dive store I go to does not care one bit where you get gear from which is great as I dont think I have purchased anything major in over 10 years in Australia.
It only really sells scubapro which I have nothing against but I like my Mares gear better and lets be honest no one has Mares in stock in their stores down here.
They service my regs, my bcd and tanks and are not fussed about it.

However there are other local stores, we have an abundance of them where I am, and I am pretty sure one store is like that but from what I have heard they go thru alot of dive instructors as it is teach students and make sales or your out the door.

My LDS is happy to take my money for servicing my regs, without asking where they were bought! My money is as good as the money from a client who bought their regs there! I don't ask for or get offered special deals on service (which maybe the client who bought there does), and that's fine by me.

And by the way, sk290 sounds like a potential warranty issue. So I would wait to hear of Zak and Phil on this site before acting on your reg. They might help you otu with that...

In any case, in the US, Scubatoys does service on regs and have an impeccable record! I would give them a try if you are in need of service...

Cheers!:coffee:

Tracy, surely living in Oz you realise that no shop will touch your gear if you even mention internet purchases. Rather than try to get customers back in their store, they simply treat you as a second rate citizen, and close ranks around those people willing to pay double for the same stuff.

-Dave

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom