Mares R2 Axis Reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aujax

Reaction score
Anyone use the Mares R2 Axis? It's the cheapest reg at leisure pro, and I was just wondering if anyone thinks there are limitations (depth, temperature) or other serious shortcomings on this reg.

Thanks!
-Aujax

Is the reason you are buying it because its the cheapest? Remember, this is life support equipment. Buy a reg for the features, the WOB, the servicability, and dependability. YOur life is more important than a few bucks...

Everything LUBOLD8431 said is absolutely correct and I will give you my feelings on that reg.
Scuba regulators must meet certain specs and mares is a good brand and I'm sure that reg will function adequately for many things. It may work great at 60' if you are relaxed, but I would never use it very deep in anything other than a pool or small lake where I wouldn't have to worry about any current, buddy breathing, cold....basically it provides air so you may survive with it.
It would be a great reg for a sling tank or stage tank that is just for shallow deco or safety stops. If you're an instructor it would be good for the swimming pool training dives and it would probably function adequately as a pony bottle reg, but then you get into "if I need the pony it better work well and breathe well or it is nearly useless."
I have used the
I have a mares mr12 axis, about 20.00 more at leisurepro, that I use on sling tanks that I threw on my twins and breathed down to 140' just to see how it felt. I'm very comfortable in the water and breathe easy, but I could feel that reg was giving me 100% of its available air and if I had to fight any sort of current I would have been extremely worried. I was in a lake at the time and still had my primary reg to use if I needed it.

I would be interested to see what Greg Barlow thinks of the M2. I have several years of positive experiences with the MR12 so I'm not that inclined to go with the M2 just because its $20 cheaper. However if I was some LDS considering buying 100 of them and I knew they were just as safe I would.

The R2 is just a basic unbalanced piston. It would be fine for an Instructor or LDS for students in the pool and a nice rental reg for open water dives. Its not a high performance reg, just a simple design.

LUBOLD8431:
The R2 is just a basic unbalanced piston. It would be fine for an Instructor or LDS for students in the pool and a nice rental reg for open water dives. Its not a high performance reg, just a simple design.

The R2 is exactly what Lubold has stated. It is basically the same as the ScubaPro MK2 first stage, and on the ANSTI simulator has almost identical scores. Dive buddies and I use them as deco regs for EAN50 and oxygen, as the depths are rather shallow. You can switch the regs on bottles underwater if need be (only when a failure dictates), and they are extremely simple to service.

That being said, they do have their limits as all nonbalanced first stages do. I believe that for everyday sport diving, the MR12 is a far better choice. The MR12 first stage has only one dynamic O-ring and is rock solid. It offers very good gas flow at approximately 4,000 liters per minute. When one considers that the vast majority of second stages can only flow around 2,200-2,800 liters per minute then its capacity looks even better. In layman's terms, two divers breathing at an aggressive rate can still get sufficient gas at 165 feet. I mentioned some time ago a little test that I rigged up. I was at around 120' and started purging my backup reg, while breathing very aggressively on my primary. I still didn't feel like the reg was failing to meet my demands. This is a rather severe test and has led me to trust the MR12.

Diving below 150fsw on air is NOT a wise choice, so when helium based mixes enter the picture then the work of breathing becomes even easier.

Just for interest, I use MR12's on my doubles. I use the Akros second stages for their cold water dependability. On my single tank rig I use a V16 first stage with a Proton primary. The V16 has better hose routing for singles, but the MR12 works fine for my hose routing on the doubles.

I am not advocating that Mares regs are the ULTIMATE choice. They are my choice because I am able to service them and parts availability is not an issue with me. I have a stock of parts that will easily cover me for more than a decade. They are generally very reliable, and offer excellent performance for such a simple, robust design. If you want or have a need for greater gas flow, or have the desire to have a user adjustable second stage then I would consider the Apeks brand. I am very impressed with their design features and detailing. There are many fine regs on the market. I honestly wouldn't feel shortchanged to use any of the higher end models from any of the major manufacturers. I personally prefer diaphragm regs, but many of my dives are made in cold water. If I only dove in warm water, then a high flow balanced piston first stage might get the nod. Till then, the Mares regs will continue to meet my diving duties. I've never had one fail me yet....

The key is to find a reg that can be serviced by an individual that you know and can trust. A reg should never be serviced by a "parts changer". Anyone can be taught to simply swap out parts. A true technician fully understands the mechnical principles of the reg that they are servicing. They take no shortcuts and service the reg in such a manner that they would have no qualms about letting one of their loved ones use it. If you can't trust a reg technician then you would be better off with a brand that can be serviced by a competent individual.

Safe diving!

Greg

aujax:
Anyone use the Mares R2 Axis? It's the cheapest reg at leisure pro, and I was just wondering if anyone thinks there are limitations (depth, temperature) or other serious shortcomings on this reg.

Thanks!
-Aujax

I just bought one for my 13 year-old daughter. I expect no problems. My first regulator was a Swimaster Polaris II piston first-stage job, and I took it to 110ft. in December off the NJ coast.

I will add a Mares octopus (she wants everything to match) and a 2-gauge console. We''ll be diving next month in FL.

As has been suggested I would go for the MR12 Axis. I have used the MR12 Akros down to 60m (approx 200ft) and it performed very well (the Akros is the earlier equivalent model to the Axis). Also recently got an MR12 Epos which performs very well but I haven't had a chance to take it below 34m yet (but I wouldn't hesitate to try it in the 50m + range). As was mentioned the hose routing with the MR12 on doubles is very good. Another consideration would be the MR12 Proton which is not that much more expensive than the Axis through Leisurepro.
In general Mares make durable and reliable high performance regs. It is also an advantage that they are resistant to free flowing and therefore don't need any silly adjustment knobs on the second stage. I have three Mares regs and have never had the feeling that couldn't supply all the air I would ever need, even when quite deep. A Mares Abyss (which I also have) was recently used on a record dive to 313m, so would be more than suitable for any deep diving needs.

I like the Mares regs, but have heard some very good reports of the Oceanic Alpha 7, a relatively cheap reg with apparently very good performance. So it may also be worth considering.

BD

Greg Barlow:
On my single tank rig I use a V16 first stage with a Proton primary. Greg

Greg, I have been thinking about getting a Proton as a lightweight reg for my wife. Have you had any problems with bubble interference with the Proton (given its small size)? Any other comments on its performance, or comfort in the mouth?

Thanks, BlueDevil

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom