Mares Quattro = Cramps = Split Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Finding the right combination of boots, fins and straps that fit your feet is as important as a good fitting mask. If you start changing your booties' thickness you may need different fins or straps. I wear a Tilos 3mm boot and the 5mm boot's sole is a half size larger. Point is that the 5mm doesn't work well with my fins and springs. This is one area where you really do need to work with a local shop to get the system working right. Once we put springs on my wife's fins, no more cramping. Hope it works as well for you.

Trying to relax is a constant challenge and I can hit the "zen" of diving about 90% of the time now. Swim more with your fins and dive as often as you can.

Finding the right combination of boots, fins and straps that fit your feet is as important as a good fitting mask. If you start changing your booties' thickness you may need different fins or straps. I wear a Tilos 3mm boot and the 5mm boot's sole is a half size larger. Point is that the 5mm doesn't work well with my fins and springs. This is one area where you really do need to work with a local shop to get the system working right. Once we put springs on my wife's fins, no more cramping. Hope it works as well for you.

Trying to relax is a constant challenge and I can hit the "zen" of diving about 90% of the time now. Swim more with your fins and dive as often as you can.

Thanks driftwood I will try the springs first, sound like they make a difference.

I have been using Plana Avanti / Quattros for about 20 yrs and I swear by them, they are fecking brilliant.

Today I dived with a new pair of Excel + with spring straps and I cannot understand why I have not bought spring straps before now, fantastic, they should be fitted as standard

I have been diving with these Mares Quattro fins about 6 months , I like the way they work except they cause cramps at times. Im serriously considering a pair of split fins and just need oppinions on which split fins to buy .

Just like any piece of equipment, there are certain models that you may like but simply aren't "built" for you. Thus, while the Quattros arguably are one of the best paddle-style fins out there, they could be too long & heavy for you personally. I know that was the case with me.

I went from Plana Avantis to Quattros back to Plana Avantis and ultimately to Volos and have been quite happy with the latter. The combination of materials in the fins basically make them something of a "hybrid" that give me the control to do a variety of kicks (flutter, frog, back-pedaling) like a paddle, but with the comfort of a split.

It may well have been already suggested, but perhaps you might try some different fins in the pool & seeing how they work for you?

Got my 6mm sea soft boots today I will be sending them back. They are a very nice boot , the problem is I wear a 10.5 sea soft only makes a 11-12 witch is to big for my foot . Back to square one.

When I replaced my old boots, the nylon was separating from the neoprene, I went to every shop in town with fins in hand in search of the "perfect fit". Finally found a pair that felt good on my feet, were a fair match with my fins but sat a 1/2 inch too far back for the fins to be a good fit. The boot was a 5mm and after talking with the salesman, we decided that the 3mm would be a better fit. They had to order the boots and unfortunately the company changed the size of the sole by a half size when they changed the thickness of the neoprene. No big deal since the shop ordered a range of sizes in 3mm.

Moral of the story is that there are some things you really need to try on at a bricks and mortar shop. Here is my list, masks, wetsuits, boots and fins.

Don't be a complete loser, find the right fit and look for the best price online.

Last edited:
I know its been awhile I am now diving Apollo pro w/ springs these fins are absolutely amazing. I dove three dives this weekend the Apollo fins were almost twice as fast w/ half the effert to swim with , also did my longest dive to date 1:45 today , so I guess that means better air consumption also. Thanks for all the good advice.

Quattros are a great fin and I would advise giving them a little more time. Like others have said, your legs may not be in the best of shape so maybe jog, ride a bike, etc. and try to get your strength/stamina up a bit.

If you're still set on splits, I would go with either the Apollo Bio-Fins or the Atomic Splits...these are the the only fins that seem to be consisently well-like.

Moral of the story is that there are some things you really need to try on at a bricks and mortar shop. Here is my list, masks, wetsuits, boots and fins.

Don't be a complete loser, find the right fit and look for the best price online.

YIKES! so go and waste your LDS time and try on everything there and then buy online. Shame, Shame:no: With the unemployment rate so. Ok, I am getting off my soap box now. sorry.

The benefits of going to your LDS is a good LDS will let you rent or try them if they know you are looking to purchase a new set from them. Also, a good one will generally price match if it is not totally unrealistic. Plus if they go out of business, who will fill your tanks. can't do that online.

I am looking for new fins. I use full foot volos now. No boots but wear them with a 1mm sock. Love them but as I dive more and sometimes 3 times a day, I find I am prone to leg cramps later in the day. I hydrate, do the banana thing on dives and am a good swimmer. But I dive with steels and most times a dive is at least 2 1/2 hours. Hubby has scuba pro splits with sling backs that he likes. I have tried them a few times but do not like them personally and think they are too heavy.
I know there is much debate and understand it is more a personal preference. I love to shore dive in Florida but find the swim out and back in a bit of a current harder work. I too do not want to spend $500 on fins. I would be happy up to $300.
Any recommendations or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am not looking to give up my other fins but just have an alternative for different dive conditions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom