Mares Puck vs TUSA DC Hunter vs VEO 3.0

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

messenone

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I know I am covered with all three of these DC.

I have done a lot of research for the Mares Puck and the DC hunter and some other DC's that are in that range but I never paid too much attention to the VEO 3.0 (eventhough I liked its looks and it covers my needs) because of the price which was a bit higher than the others.

Anyone who is diving the VEO 3.0 or knows about it, is there any feature on there that is worth spending the extra 100 $$. Since I can afford to get a newer model should I go for it or stick with the older (proven models). I am also a bit concerned that Oceanic DC's are very liberal. ( I am planning to buy 2 DC's one for me and one for my fiancee so that we can compare different algorithms).

I am pretty sure:
its a newer model
I've read that its software for downloading is very easy to use and never caused any problems (whereas with other brands I ve seen posts reporting problems)
Its download cable is cheaper than the others (so basically the difference in the price is not a 100$ but maybe 50$).

p.s. Does anyone know if the VEO 3.0 has a clear cover to protect the face?

Personal Dive Computers - Oceanic Veo 3.0 with Dual Algorithm

Powered by Oceanic's Exclusive Dual Algorithm™ - Your choice between Pelagic DSAT (Spencer/Powell data basis) or Pelagic Z+ (Buhlmann ZHL-16C data basis)

3 Operating Modes: NORM (Air and Nitrox), GAUGE (with run timer) and FREE (tracks calculations to allow switching between NORM and Free)

3 Operating Buttons with "Step Back" interface – allows forward and backward navigation through menus and settings

Switch between up to 2 Nitrox mixes to 100% O2 with no restriction (Gas 1 may be up to 100%, and may be less or greater than Gas 2)

Stop times <3 minutes - displays minutes & seconds

Deep Stop with Countdown Timer &#8211; Maybe turned on or off. 2 minute countdown at half your max depth, for dives greater than 80 ft / 25m

Single button access to "Last Dive" display (max depth & bottom time)

Data Retention - maintains calculations indefinitely when the battery is changed

Audible Alarm with flashing LED light

SmartGlo Backlighting senses ambient light, enabling the backlight only in low light conditions, conserving battery life

24 dive on-unit log book

History Mode includes total number of dives, max depth, total dive hours, and lowest temp

Optional PC Interface with OceanLog Download and Settings Upload

Firmware Auto-Update: download and install the latest firmware &#8211; these may be operational improvements or even new features

30-DAY SATISFACTION GUARANTEE: We guarantee that at any time during the first 30 days of purchase, your Oceanic product fails to meet your expectations, that product may be exchanged by a participating Authorized Oceanic Pro Dealer. No questions asked.

Thanks for your post greylion but I already read all that info from Oceanic's website!

These are the features that I find intrguing since I own an Aeris Atmos Elite.

3 Operating Buttons with "Step Back" interface &#8211; allows forward and backward navigation through menus and settings . With my computer you have to cycle forward through every setting to get where you want, so it's a time saver.

Single button access to "Last Dive" display (max depth & bottom time) - That's new since mine and useful.

SmartGlo Backlighting senses ambient light, enabling the backlight only in low light conditions, conserving battery life - nice feature

History Mode includes total number of dives, max depth, total dive hours, and lowest temp - Like that one too.

Firmware Auto-Update: download and install the latest firmware &#8211; these may be operational improvements or even new features - upgradebale software is another new (about time) add on.

Just my thoughts on this new model from Oceanic. Good luck with your hunt.

Funny, just been reading up on the Veo range!

Some thoughts - if the puck is adequate for your needs, then the Veo 3.0 is overkill. The veo 2.0 is cheaper and more in line with the puck. Differences as I can remember, 3.0 (over the 2.0) has capability for 2 nitrox mixes, can go up to 100% O2, and has backward scolling. Do you need these features?

As to liberal/conservative, the veo range seems very adjustable - 2 algorithms and each adjustable (I believe).

If you don't need to download logbook, I would also recommend the Suunto Gekko, even cheaper than the puck and imo very nice. Again conservatism quite adjustable. I hear that there is a software to overcome the download problem - wish I had a link for the wife's gekko!

We have sold a bunch of the Veo 3.0's. The two key points that I have noticed "why" divers have gone this route is:
1. 2 gas - locally a lot of divers, dive with a redundant air system (pony or sling bottle). In the event that they end up with 2 different gases (36%/air), they can track what their body is going through if they had to switch and end their dive.
2. "Step Back" interface - rather than having to scroll all the way through if you pass an option, you can just scroll back.
3. Entry level Tec - Divers that one day want to do Tec diving, CAN!

If these two things don't matter to you then save yourself a couple of bucks and go with the Veo 2.0.

The Veo 1.0 is a nice computer but it is worth it to go a step up to the 2.0!
1. Less wait time when scrolling through
2. Max Depth alarms
3. Back Lighting

The Oceanic computers have been very intuative & reliable. We have the full line of computers in stock, feel free to contact me to help you with this.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom