Mares Puck Pro vs Suunto Zoop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey everyone, my mistake, After reading through the entire thread I realized the OP was wanting to compare wrist mount DC's. I was thinking of the console versions, which is actually the puck, not puck pro. So I cant say about the size comparisons between the wrist mounts. So as far as the size and screen legibility the console versions are extremely similar in size. Sorry for miss-interpreting the question.

hi, the puck is better than the zoop.
the puck pro can handle 2 gases, and you can use it in salt and fresh water.

I have the Cressi Leonardo, and I am very happy with it, its quite simple to use,
you jump in to the water and it turns on at 2 meters, you go out of the water and the computer turns off, i love it.

the only problem with the one button is if you use nitrox for example 32, and you get later a tank for 31, you can not switch just one % down, you have to take all the way up to nitrox 50% it then turns to AIR and then you switch up to nitrox 31,
not a big deal, but this is definitely a one button problem.

I was thinking of the console versions, which is actually the puck, not puck pro.

actually, its the Puck "Air". The "Puck" is the earlier generation (was generally a wrist unit, but IIRC, a console was available)..... Puck "Pro" is a newer smaller scale unit...

It's a tad bit too late but i have to chip in since I'm sure people are searching for information about this.

I have owned both the Zoop and the Puck Pro and the Puck Pro is superior in every way. It only having one button isn't in any way a setback especially since the one button is much easier to press than the Zoop buttons.
Here's a list of differences in no particular order:
1. The Zoop CNS calculating algorithm abides its own rules. If you cross 1.4bar ppO2 it starts adding percentages like crazy. I've been on a nitrox dive where people with a Zoop had 100% CNS while other computers, like Puck Pro, using standard calculation algorithms showed 12%.
2. Puck Pro has bottom timer mode, Zoop doesn't because they want you to pay more and get a Vyper.
3. Puck Pro has gas switching, Zoop doesn't.
4. Puck Pro has a higher depth sampling rate than the Zoop, and it samples temperature values throughout the dive where Zoop saves only the starting, lowest point and end temperatures. Not very important but still...
5. Puck Pro is cheaper.

I'm sure there's more :)

the puck pro can handle 2 gases, and you can use it in salt and fresh water.
you jump in to the water and it turns on at 2 meters, you go out of the water and the computer turns off....

The Zoop can handle air and Nitrox. If you mean that the Zoop can't switch between gases during a dive, I believe that's right. The Zoop is an entry-level computer, and most divers looking for an entry-level computer won't be gas-switching during dives.

Most computers these days turn on automatically when you submerge. The Zoop does so at 4 feet. The Zoop does not turn off per se, but it reverts to surface interval once you surface. ---------- Post added July 8th, 2014 at 09:36 PM ----------

5. Puck Pro is cheaper.

The Puck and Puck Pro are two different computers, with the Pro being more expensive. At one well-known online dealer, the price for the Puck Pro is $330, and the price for the Zoop is $225. So it's actually the Zoop that is cheaper.

The Zoop should really be compared with the Puck (not Puck Pro) or the Cressi Leonardo.

The Puck and Puck Pro are two different computers, with the Pro being more expensive. At one well-known online dealer, the price for the Puck Pro is $330, and the price for the Zoop is $225. So it's actually the Zoop that is cheaper.

The Zoop should really be compared with the Puck (not Puck Pro) or the Cressi Leonardo.

Well, where I bought it (Croatia) the Puck Pro is cheaper than the Zoop. At least we can safely assume that both are in the same price range. And the Puck Pro delivers more for the same price, so I think it doesn't matter at all that "we should compare Zoop to the Puck". They are all used for the same purpose - recreational diving. The Puck Pro is nowhere near a technical computer so if you ask me it belongs in the same category.

we've been using the Puck for 2 years now and love it, no issues whatsoever

FWIW, the Puck Pro is often sold at quite a discount (you just need to keep checking prices.) I just picked one up a yesterday for $220 (probably from the same well-known on-line dealer you've made reference to), so it was a no-brainer given it ended up being cheaper than the Zoop.

Back
Top Bottom