Mares Puck Pro vs Suunto Zoop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have Puck Pro (actually two, the second one is my wife's), its easy to use, works fine, very nice that you can change the battery, I believe its very good value for the price

But a few issues you need to think about:
1. It can be a pain in the ..... to use the one button
2. It can be a bit confusing to use it and to understand all the info you see on the screen. The screen is relatively small and it shows a lot of info especially not in the dive more. In dive mode its better (less info).

I never used Zoop myself but I did a few dives with people who used it and in the end its very hard to say what to choose
I think that the best thing for you if possible of course is to rent them both and try

Planning on getting 2 DC. We dive nitrox and only require basic DC features. Price is a factor, so keeping to lower cost DC (under $300). So i'm undecided between to Mares Puck Pro and the Suunto Zoop.

Mares Puck Pro-$219

Suunto Zoop-$249

I'm leaning towards the Mares for price and I think that dealing with a single button UW can be easier than trying to press the smaller buttons of the Zoop. I deal with a GoPro so having too few buttons is not a deal breaker.

Thanks

I have never owned a Puck, but have dived with a buddy who has one. I didn't see much difference in ND time. but the Zoop (Gekko, Vyper--we own 4) is much easier to navigate.

Leisurepro has the Zoop at $224.95 w/free shipping. Choice of 3 colors.

The screen is relatively small ... I never used Zoop myself but I did a few dives with people who used it

Can anyone who has seen both the Zoop and Puck in action tell whether the displays are equally large and legible?

Its more a case of text size relative to screen size. I have seen the mares and own a Zoop. The Zoop win the size contest IMO.

I have a Puck pro and was diving with a guy with a zoop.

I really like my DC, it does everything I want and I find the menus very intuitive. It has a relatively high profile compared to the zoop but I prefer it with its single button. I think the displays are similar (the zoop may have a smaller display than the puck pro actually)

IMO the puck pro is a great computer to get started with. does the zoop come with a PC interface? the puck pro doesnt and its about £60 to buy one... thats may sway your opinion based on cost alone.

IMO the puck pro is a great computer to get started with. does the zoop come with a PC interface? the puck pro doesnt and its about £60 to buy one... thats may sway your opinion based on cost alone.

For those who may not realize it, the Puck Pro is a higher-end model than the Puck.

The Zoop comes with a PC interface (in that it can interface with a PC), but it doesn't come with the proprietary cable needed to interface with a PC. The price of the cable is the source of some griping among Zoop owners. But one way to look at is that the price of the cable also includes the price of the Suunto software, which is distributed free of charge (but not much use without the cable). The software can be pirated so it makes sense to distribute that for free and charge for the cable.

I did see something online where a guy made his own interface cable. But that kind of work is a step above my pay grade. If I get to the point where I need to plot the dive profile, I would buy the cable. Until then, I'll just read the log and enter my dives into a spreadsheet.

My fiancée has the Mares and I have the Suunto. We too, were torn between choosing the two computers you're looking at, so I got the Suunto and her the Mares. The puck pro has one button which is nice with thick gloves on, and the Zoop is a tiny bit harder with thick gloves, but nothing bad. Both are easy to use and both are good computers for the price. Good luck on choosing! :)

Edit: Just saw you went with the Zoop! ya!

My fiancée has the Mares and I have the Suunto.

What can you tell us about the legibility (ease of reading the display) of one vs. the other?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom