Mares Proton Ice or Zeagle Envoy Dlx

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JT4

Registered
Reaction score
Hi. I am not certified yet but have had plenty of pool time training and practice.

I am trying to decide on which reg set to get. I have thoroughly scoured these message boards and the internet as well as visited several LDS's in South Florida. I have decided to get the Zeagle Stiletto BC and will most likely get a dive computer such as the Oceanic Pro Plus 2 or Aeris AI. I am very in the middle on the reg set. I will most dive warm water if not all.

I can pick up a Mares Proton Ice set for $299 on sale until this Tuesday. I would then get the Proton Octopus for $99. I like the compact size and metal construction. I have read several good comments about this unit and the deal is great. I have also heard that the metal construction helps it retain moisture from my breath to make it more comfortable. In my pool experience with a regulator dry mouth was a problem for me. I have heard that many guys don't like the Proton Ice because of the color but it does not bother me that much.

The other choice is the Zeagle Envoy Deluxe and an Envoy Octopus. I have read several good reviews on these. I like that they are American made and somewhat local in Florida. I can easily send it back to the factory UPS Ground for service and they will have it the next day. I like the fact that it will match my BC but obviously not a big issue. I am concerned that I may find it to dry for me vs. the Proton Ice. If I found a really good deal I might push for a Flathead.

I would appreciate any thoughts as I would like to make a decision and move on to finally get certified. Maybe I use this when I go to Turks & Caicos this month. I welcome any offers from dealers should if they can put a nice package deal together. I assume you can send me a direct message on this board. Thanks in advance.

Juan

JT4:
Hi. I am not certified yet but have had plenty of pool time training and practice.

I am trying to decide on which reg set to get. I have thoroughly scoured these message boards and the internet as well as visited several LDS's in South Florida. I have decided to get the Zeagle Stiletto BC and will most likely get a dive computer such as the Oceanic Pro Plus 2 or Aeris AI. I am very in the middle on the reg set. I will most dive warm water if not all.

I can pick up a Mares Proton Ice set for $299 on sale until this Tuesday. I would then get the Proton Octopus for $99. I like the compact size and metal construction. I have read several good comments about this unit and the deal is great. I have also heard that the metal construction helps it retain moisture from my breath to make it more comfortable. In my pool experience with a regulator dry mouth was a problem for me. I have heard that many guys don't like the Proton Ice because of the color but it does not bother me that much.

The other choice is the Zeagle Envoy Deluxe and an Envoy Octopus. I have read several good reviews on these. I like that they are American made and somewhat local in Florida. I can easily send it back to the factory UPS Ground for service and they will have it the next day. I like the fact that it will match my BC but obviously not a big issue. I am concerned that I may find it to dry for me vs. the Proton Ice. If I found a really good deal I might push for a Flathead.

I would appreciate any thoughts as I would like to make a decision and move on to finally get certified. Maybe I use this when I go to Turks & Caicos this month. I welcome any offers from dealers should if they can put a nice package deal together. I assume you can send me a direct message on this board. Thanks in advance.

Juan

I would suggest to try both of the regs, and see for yourslelf which one performs betters. Both are great brands and would do fine

oscar_2424:
I would suggest to try both of the regs, and see for yourslelf which one performs betters. Both are great brands and would do fine

Hi Oscar. Thanks for the reply. Trying them both out would be an obvious solution to get an initial idea of fit, comfort and it's operation. Unfortunately as I mentioned the sale ends in two days in which I would not have the time to do so. In addition to that I am not yet certified so trying it out would most likely need to be supervised. Lastly I don't know where I can go to be able to try both out. If it is a dealer I don't want to waste someone's time if I don't really intend to buy from them. I was hoping to hear comments from those who have used either one or both for more than just a few minutes. The possibility of moisture retention in the Proton has me leaning towards it. That is very attractive for me. You are correct, they both seem to be well liked and would probably serve a beginner well. Thanks.

Juan

JT4:
Hi Oscar. Thanks for the reply. Trying them both out would be an obvious solution to get an initial idea of fit, comfort and it's operation. Unfortunately as I mentioned the sale ends in two days in which I would not have the time to do so. In addition to that I am not yet certified so trying it out would most likely need to be supervised. Lastly I don't know where I can go to be able to try both out. If it is a dealer I don't want to waste someone's time if I don't really intend to buy from them. I was hoping to hear comments from those who have used either one or both for more than just a few minutes. The possibility of moisture retention in the Proton has me leaning towards it. That is very attractive for me. You are correct, they both seem to be well liked and would probably serve a beginner well. Thanks.

Juan
i have the mares proton ice and never had a problem with my reg, hope i can help

oscar_2424:
i have the mares proton ice and never had a problem with my reg, hope i can help

Thanks again. I went ahead and ordered the Proton Ice from Divers Direct at $299. I called the store and they said they were out of stock at the store and try the web store instead. I like that their main store is just minutes from my office and I drive by it regularly. I was going to get the regular Proton Octo but I may opt for the Proton Ice Octo for about $50.00 more.

Juan

Another vote for the Zeagle between those two. I like having the adjustability feature on a reg, and the Zeagle Envoy Deluxe will have that.. And cost you less than the Mares.

Hi. I just wanted to update this thread. I ended canceling my Mares order after I sent Larry from Scubatoys a private message and he set me up with an excellent deal. Based upon recommendations I ended up going with the Zeagle package (Stiletto BC, Envoy Dlx Reg, and Envoy Octo) along with an Oceanic Pro Plus 2 computer. He did not solicit the sale directly even though I left that open to do so. I also did not expect such a quick response of July 4th but he did, twice. I called him at the store this afternoon and confirmed the purchased. They should have it out assembled and tested by today if not tomorrow. Another happy Scubatoys customer. This confirms what many have already said. Thanks Larry.

Juan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom