Mares PI?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi,
Ok is this a good combo or what for cold water, seems assome to me, Mares V32 Proton Ice Regulator, with Mares MR12 Proton Ice Octopus. :eyebrow: :eyebrow:

Any thoughts?

Yeah pretty good. The proton seems to be gaining popularity as an inexpensive coldwater reg that is a decent performer. The price seems to attract alot of eyes. If the price is right with the parts and warranty I would go for it.
Don't be afraid to compare the Mares to other regs with knobs and dials. The DFS and SCS systems have something to be said about them.

spidershim123:
Hi,
Ok is this a good combo or what for cold water, seems assome to me, Mares V32 Proton Ice Regulator, with Mares MR12 Proton Ice Octopus.

Any thoughts?

Nice, If you want to go all the way, get it sealed as well :wink:

The Proton ice octo does'nt come with a MR12 :11:

remember this, if you buy the Metal with a V16 first you have saved some $$$$$$$$ and the internals are the same, the only differance is the hose routing out of the first :wink:

Mr Mares:
remember this, if you buy the Metal with a V16 first you have saved some $$$$$$$$ and the internals are the same, the only differance is the hose routing out of the first :wink:

Are you saying that the V32 and V16 are the same performance wise? I don't think so.

rescuediver009:
Are you saying that the V32 and V16 are the same performance wise? I don't think so.

As close as makes no differnce.

I like my proton ice, I don't think the v16 and the v32 are the same, I highly recommend this set up,(ice w/v32) I would like to know about getting mine sealed, If you get one i'd suggest getting it done at the purchase. I have heard conflicting stories about getting it done "after use". I haven't had any problems with my "unsealed" reg, and I have dove some pretty cold water.

chris hecker:
I like my proton ice, I don't think the v16 and the v32 are the same, I highly recommend this set up,(ice w/v32) I would like to know about getting mine sealed, If you get one i'd suggest getting it done at the purchase. I have heard conflicting stories about getting it done "after use". I haven't had any problems with my "unsealed" reg, and I have dove some pretty cold water.

What is your defintion of COLD :eyebrow:

Just because they look completely different, does'nt mean they are not the same inside!

Please note, different shapes of first stage DO make a differance, Thermal Capacity, Hose routing, etc. As RS 009 said there are differences, but for rec diving in NORMAL conditions they behave the same, put them in extreme conditions and things change.

I have a V32, and it is my intension to combine this with a Abyss Primary and Secondary, Now.......... That is perfect :wink:..............

............... But only for the type of diving I do :eyebrow:

chris hecker:

Does it work different when it's sealed or something? I'm really looking forward to its moisture effect.

To add to what Chris said, the V32 is designed for cold water, and if you were to get it sealed your water should be near ice. Companies define cold water as anything below 50 but having the wide range in temperature that I dive in, there is no need for a specialty reg for anything warmer than 40. Below that you begin to get freeflows, and with the metal second stage you should be good. As for the first stage, diaphragms are pretty resistant to this. It is mostly when you get into and out of the water and there is a wind or something so that the water gets a chance to freeze. I wouldn't worry too too much about the seal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom