Mares or OMS - Cant decide for the life of me....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you - your response have cemented XDeep as a choice, just need to work out the bells and whistles now:) Bering tall I will need a 22" hose as the standard one will be to short for me. Cheers
Go with the long BP. I believe Xdeep has the 19" corrugated hose....the one I went with the Ghost. I got the 22" from DGX for my Zen

If you go with a long BP Aluminum Ghost for travel would be a great decision...I would go with 22" hose since you are so tall...Again I am 5'9" and use both 19 and 22" hose.
Then you would have to decide on the Zen SS or Aluminum BP....The SS are heavy BP and may be overkill with twin steel tanks

Replacement webbing fixes the advertising on the Mares harness.

Replacement webbing fixes the advertising on the Mares harness.
this is what I don't like.
You pay 600 eur for something and you need to fix it...

If I paid 200-300 eur for it and had to modify it it's no problem. But to pay a premium price and having to modify and fix it. No go for me.

this is what I don't like.
You pay 600 eur for something and you need to fix it...

If I paid 200-300 eur for it and had to modify it it's no problem. But to pay a premium price and having to modify and fix it. No go for me.
Swapping out a working component because you don't like how it looks is not "having to modify and fix it."

Also, buying an piece of gear that you don't like is bad purchase decision. The comment was meant for the "replacement webbing fixes the mares problem".

buying an piece of gear that you don't like is bad purchase decision
Not always. Typically the bundled package is discounted, and you still may come out ahead even after buying more webbing. Plus, you'd also have webbing for a weight belt or tank band where the Mares logo is really hidden.

Is this a fashion contest?

If it's recreational I can a little bit understand.
But we are talking about a backplate. Who cares what the webbing looks like!!! As long as it's not weaker than any other webbing, its fine...
BP is usually about simplifying and minimizing, its function over fashion,
Granted a BP can get more cluttered than it should with all the different assortments of accessories that are available,,
but forget about looks if it's a good deal, depending on how much you dive you'll change it soon enough,,

If you look at the divers that actually do serious dives their equipment is functional but well used,

Is this a fashion contest?
Backplate catwalk battle!

We all know a polished Freedom Plate will win. But which webbing?

And hardware? Can I suggest the wild stuff from TomS - NAJLEPSZE PŁYTY DLA PŁETWONURKÓW ?
a2.jpg

He also makes a radical ultralight plate that I don't fully understand (all the text is in Polish)
uls-2-blue-2.jpg

I haven't read through the posts rigorously but since I saw tecline mentioned here and there, I am giving you my 2c:

Tecline's BPW is very good for the price. I have one for 2 years now (about 250 dives with it - including 2-3 dive trips) and I have no problem at all with it.
I am using it usually for 1-2 rec dives a week with single 15lt tank and occasionally with a 7lt aluminum pony/stage. So far with wetsuits, but I am moving to dry suit (right now I am trying an older waterproof D1).
I've got the 17lt wing (although I could live with smaller one eg the 15lt), aluminum backplate, simple one piece webbing. Mind you water temperatures here are mild (minimum 16oC) hence I don't wear thick protection - if you are going to use it mostly with drysuits and thick undergaments go for the SS plate.
People at the local dive store (ab)use tecline BPWs too for several years now and they never had issues with them.
The only think I didn't like were the weight pockets. Too much extra material for the job. It was the first (and only) thing I ditched since I bought them and since then I'm using weight belt and/or trim pockets if/when needed.
I hope these help.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom