Mares or Oceanic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am looking at the Mares Abyss or the Oceanic Delta 4 reg. I'm not sure what one to go with. They both look like very good regs. Any advice?

I'm staying out of this as far as arecommedation goes, current Oceanic rep, former Mares rep.

Both high performance first stages, balanced diaphram. Oceanic comes with Cold water enviornmental kit that is dry, Mares you need to buy after at ~$60 bucks plus possible install labor uses mineral oil.

2nd Stages. Mares non adjustable, Oceanic adjustable. Mares chrome plated brass heavy but built like a tank get a good mouthpiece for comfort, Oceanic ABS/Polycarbonate composite blend of materials making the Delta 4 both extremely rugged and lightweight (6.7 ounces). Oceanic has the swivel fitting Mares does not.

Best,
Chris

My vote is Mares..... I really like mine and so do the folks I know that dive them. I honestly know nothing about the Oceanic

cerich:
I'm staying out of this, current Oceanic rep, former Mares rep.

Best,
Chris

Chris-

I think you of all people should pass judgement. You have intimate knowledge of both companies regs.

My vote is for Oceanic...I have one and I know a lot of people that dive them.

I have no specific experience with the oceanic, but everyone I know that has an abyss likes it. Note that an environmental seal can cost extra at each service, so you may not want to get that if you don't need it. This also may be different depending on your LDS's policies and/or if the manufacturer provides parts for annual services. Best to ask before you buy.

N.E.Diver:
Chris-

I think you of all people should pass judgement. You have intimate knowledge of both companies regs.

My vote is for Oceanic...I have one and I know a lot of people that dive them.

Yeah I know alot about both regs! Problem is that folks will think bias no matter what I say as far as a recommendation goes. Plus it is my job to sell Oceanic so if I recommend it then what I say is discounted because it is my job!

I bought a Delta 4 mid December 05. It's comfortable in the mouth and breath with ease.
I bought it in yoke after the sales person at LDS told me he had never seen a Din version
of the Delta 4 FDX10 and would not be able to get me one.(against my beter judgement I bought the yoke).

After 2.5 months I started finding out about a possible aftermarket conversion.I got a couple of quotes, all around R700($100).I then found out from another dive shop(also the Oceanic importer to South Africa) that I could have bought it in the first place with a Din fitting. I rang them up during the week and told them my story. They said they'll phone back.

They phoned this morning and said they'll change it to din for me for free. I took it in and waited 15 minutes for the conversion.

Best service I have ever received. Oceanic certainly gets my vote. Remember in South Africa there is no sutch thing as free parts for live.

Free conversion after almost 3 months of use........ ...

Not to high jack the thread but i was looking at the same two regs, but for mostly cold water, what would be a better reg. Also, do the new mares abyss come with the cold water conversion or do you have to buy that for the new ones as well?

I am extremely happy with my Delta 4. It breathes great and is very lightweight and comfortable. The second stage swivel really adds to the comfort level of this reg and the mouthpiece is very comfortable as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom